Skip to main content

Photo Studio photographs of students and campus, 1974-1996

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 865 Series 4

Scope and Contents

Contains photographs of students, student organizations, campus, and faculty. Topics include class pictures, clubs, and buildings.


  • 1974-1996


Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Photo Studio photographs and negatives must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

From the Collection:

The Photo Studio (1954-1996) was a support service at Brigham Young University.

The Photo Studio, also known as the Portrait Studio, was first formed in the 1930s to support the production of the Banyan yearbook, and was incorporated into the university's Auxiliary Services in 1954. It provided photographic services for students and faculty, as well as taking photographs of campus events. The studio worked with the News Bureau, and took photographs at university sporting events. It was also involved in the production of instructional photographs and graphics, though in 1972 these activities were transferred to the Instructional Photo/Graphics unit in the Instructional Services Division. Directors of the studio included Joseph Boel (1954-1956), Clark Nelson (1956-1958), Don Pugmire (1958-1964), Jerry Rogers (1964-1968), and James LeRoy Walker (1968- ). In 1996 the studio was closed as part of renovations to the Wilkinson Center.


98 boxes

Language of Materials


Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository

1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US