Skip to main content

Department of Technology department records, 1955-1990

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1119 Series 2

Scope and Contents

Contains minutes, reports, newsletters, and financial records from the department dated 1955 to 1990.

Dates

  • 1955-1990

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Department of Technology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

From the Collection:

The Department of Technology (1972-1990) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The department was established in 1972 in a reorganization of the earlier Department of Industrial Technology, and provided course instruction in engineering and technology design, electronics, and manufacturing technologies, as well as aspects of construction management. It provided two-year associate's degrees for technicians and four-year bachelor's degrees. Department chairs included Ross "J" McArthur (1972-1979), Kay F. Brown (1979-1980), John J. Kunzler, Jr. (1981-1986), E. Max Raisor (1986-1987), J. L. Carroll (1987-1989), and John J. Kunzler (1989-1990).

The department reported to various colleges during its existence, including the College of Industrial and Technical Education (1972-1973), the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology (1973-1984), and the College of Engineering and Technology (1984-1990). In 1990 the department merged into the newly formed Department of Manufacturing Engineering and Technology.

Administrative History

From the Collection:

The Department of Industrial Education (1959-1993) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The department was established in 1959 in a reorganization of the earlier Department of Industrial Arts and Drawing. It provided baccalaureate programs for Industrial Arts and Technical Education teachers, as well as master's degree for master teacher certification as well as for coordinators, administrators, and supervisors in industrial and technical education. Courses taught by the department included Woodwork Fundamentals, Graphic Arts, Metal Crafts, and Lapidary.

The department resided in various parts of the university organization, including the General College (1959-1966), the College of Industrial and Technical Education (1966-1973), the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology (1973-1984), and the College of Engineering and Technology (1984-1993). In 1966 the department was split to create the Department of Industrial Technology. Department chairs in Industrial Education were Edwin C. Hinckley (1966-1972), William E. McKell (1972-1973), and Garth A. Hill (1984-1993). In 1993 the department was renamed as the Department of Technology Education and Construction Management.

Administrative History

From the Collection:

The Department of Industrial Technology (1966-1972) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The department was established in 1966 in a split of the earlier Department of Industrial Education, and placed in the College of Industrial and Technical Education. The department offered a two-year associate's degree for industrial technicians, as well as four-year baccalaureate programs in Tool and Manufacturing Technology, Construction Technology, and Design and Drafting Technology. The department chair through this period was Ross "J" McArthur. In 1972 the department was reorganized as the Department of Technology.

Extent

33 folders

2 boxes

3 cartons

Language

English