Brigham Young University Chapter membership records, 1950-1999
Scope and Contents
Contains lists of Blue Key and White Key members from 1950 to 1991, as well as more in-depth membership records detailing members' and alumni contact information. Also includes a members' signature book, containing the signatures and addresses of members from 1955 to 1999, 1950-1999.
- Blue Key (Fraternity). Brigham Young University Chapter (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at email@example.com.
The Blue Key (Fraternity) Brigham Young University Chapter (1932-2009) was an academic and service organization comprised of both men and women who ranked in the top of the class.
In 1925, the university petitioned the Blue Key National Honor Fraternity for the installation of a local chapter at Brigham young University (BYU). In 1932, the national organization contacted BYU with news that it could begin a chapter. Clyde Sandgren was appointed chairman of an investigation and organization committee, and ten men were appointed as officers and charter members. With a motto of "Serving, I live," the early days of the organization brought sponsorship of the Freshmen Treck, homecoming day, various hikes, and a trophy case in the library. The blue key symbol was adopted in 1936 and a chapter emblem was created in 1939 for maroon sweaters. As the organization continued, its responsibilities and projects expanded to include campus tours, sponsorship of the College Bowl, institution of the written Honor Code, beginning of Insigth: A Journal of Student Thought, and the creation of the wagon-wheel rivalry between BYU and Utah State University. In 1953, the club undertook the project of remounting the Y-Bell. Blue Key also awarded professor of the month and year awards, and carried out numerous honor banquets and formals. The organization reached its termination in 2009, and Larry Peer served as its last faculty advisor.
Language of Materials
Original order was maintained.