Photographs of Mormon prophets
Scope and Contents
Contains photographs of the presidents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and members of the Council of the Twelve Apostles and members of the Brigham Young University Board of Trustees.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (contributor, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Photographs of Mormon prophets must be obtained from the Permissions & Licensing Office of the University and the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (1830-) is a restorationist Christian church founded by Joseph Smith in New York. It is commonly abbreviated as the LDS Church and colloquially referred to as the Mormon Church.
During the 1820s, the church's founder, Joseph Smith, experienced visions and was led to the golden plates from which the Book of Mormon was translated. The Church was officially founded by Joseph Smith on April 6, 1830, in Palmyra, New York. The members of the religion faced a series of persecutions, and eventually fled to Utah for refuge beginning in 1847.
The Church continued to grow and expand beyond Utah, and today it has a membership numbering over 15 million. It is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, with Thomas S. Monson serving as its prophet and president.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA945.xml
Found in the University Archives stacks.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Found; University Archives stacks.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Processed; Brian Reeves and Carrie Strong; August 2000.
- Brigham Young University. Board of Trustees -- Photographs
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Presidents -- Photographs
- Council of the Twelve Apostles (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) -- Photographs
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Presidents
- Register of Photographs of Mormon prophets
- Brian Reeves and Carrie Strong
- August 2000
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008