Centennial History Project collection of histories
Scope and Contents
Contains histories compiled by various colleges and departments at Brigham Young University, largely between 1974 and 1975 in conjunction with the centennial of the university. Includes several other histories related to the university, dating as early as 1942 and as late as 1985. Also contains correspondence and records relating to the histories, 1942-1985.
- approximately 1908-2002
- Brigham Young University. Centennial History Project (collector, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Centennial History Project collection of histories must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Centennial History Project (1972-1976) was a research project led by university president Ernest L. Wilkinson to compile a history of Brigham Young University at its 100-year anniversary.
11 boxes (5.5 linear ft.)
11 microfilm reels (0.22 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Original order has been maintained.
Ernest L. Wilkinson, retired president of BYU, who was the primary author of a four-volume history of Brigham Young University, published in 1975-1976, requested that campus agencies compile histories as a resource for his larger history. Most of the histories in this collection appear to have been written in response to Wilkinson's request.
Additional histories have been added following the initial deposit.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Compiled by request; approximately 1975-1976.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Existence and Location of Copies
Materials also available on microfilm in repository.
Processed; LeGrand L. Baker; July 2000.
Processed; Dani Peterson; December 2011.
- Register of the Centennial History Project collection of histories
- LeGrand L. Baker
- 2000 July
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- 2011 December: Addendum made, collection described at file-level.
- Reel: SCM 001286 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001287 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001288 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001289 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001290 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001291 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001292 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001293 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001294 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001295 (Microform)
- Reel: SCM 001285 (Microform)