Collection of Brigham Young University photographs
Scope and Contents
Contains photographs relating to Brigham Young University, including photographs of campus, fine arts events, students, and photographs of other university-run programs, circa 1884-1980s.
- approximately 1884-1989
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Collection of Brigham Young University photographs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Brigham Young University (1903-) is a university sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Provo, Utah.
Brigham Young University was established in 1903 in a renaming of Brigham Young Academy. Past and present Brigham Young University presidents include George H. Brimhall (1903-1921), Franklin S. Harris (1921-1945), Howard S. McDonald (1945-1949), (acting president) Christian Jensen (1949-1951), Ernest L. Wilkinson (1951-1971), Dallin H. Oaks (1971-1980), Jeffrey R. Holland (1980-1989), Rex E. Lee (1989-1995), Merrill J. Bateman (1996-2003), and Cecil O. Samuelson (2003- ).
Brigham Young University is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the Church Educational System (CES). The university is governed by a Board of Trustees, which, since 1939, has consisted of the First Presidency of the Church as well as other General Authorities or general officers of the Church appointed by the First Presidency. The Board of Trustees provides general direction and oversees the formulation of broad policies as well as the approval of all executive leadership and faculty appointments at the university. The Board of Trustees delegates to the University President the responsibility to conduct the operations of the institution and administer the policies enacted by the board. The President serves as the chief executive officer and general manager of the University.
Brigham Young University has grown from a small academy to one of the world's largest private universities. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU offers a unique educational environment that promotes learning by study and also by faith.
1 carton (1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Contains sixteen series: 1. Photographs of performing arts, circa 1920-1980. 2. Photographs of Leadership Week, 1920-1959. 3. Photographs of BYU Broadcasting, 1939-1968. 4. Photographs of Y Mountain and Y Days, 1906-1972. 5. Photographs of ROTC, circa 1918-1970. 6. Photographs of BYU campus, circa 1884-1980s. 7. Photographs of study abroad programs, circa 1950s-1970s. 8. Photographs of athletic programs, circa 1920-1960s. 9. Photographs of academic programs, circa 1937-1953. 10. Photograhps of student organizations, 1917-1948. 11. Photographs of semicentennial celebration, 1924-1925. 12. Photographs of visitors to campus, 1909-1968. 13. Photographs of Y Bell, 1938-1973. 14. Photographs of health services, circa 1921-1960s. 15. Photographs of gifts and grants, circa 1950-1969. 16. General photographs, circa 1891-1968.
Materials originally donated by Laurie Bradley in August 2002. Found in University Archives Workroom in February 2009. Found in University Archives Workroom in April 2009. Addendum found in stacks in UA 1330 and added to this collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Found; University Archives Workroom; April 2009.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; October 2003.
Processed; Matthew Leavitt; March 2009.
Processed; Dani Peterson; December 2011.
- Register of Collection of Brigham Young University photographs
- Matthew Leavitt
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2011 December: Addendum, series-level description by Dani Peterson.