Hugh W. Peterson faculty papers, 1927-1962
Scope and Contents
Faculty papers of chemistry profesor Hugh W. (Hugh Wickman), dated 1927 to 1962. Papers mainly include curriculum materials for teaching chemistry, such as examination examples, course outlines, teaching notes, and experiment guidelines. Also includes letters and research materials.
- Peterson, Hugh W. (Hugh Wickman), 1893-1982 (contributor, Person)
- Brigham Young University. Department of Chemistry (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy. Photographs in folders 17 and 18 are condition restricted, items kept in cold storage.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at email@example.com.
Biographical / Historical
Hugh W. Peterson (1893-1982) was a chemistry professor at Brigham Young University
Hugh Wickman Peterson was born October 13, 1893, in Ephraim, Utah, to Niels Peter Peterson and Magdalena Peterson. On August 15, 1917, he married Lily Alene Strong in Salt Lake City. They had five children. He recieved his A.B. in 1916, abnd his M.A. in 1928 from Brigham Young University. In 1936, Peterson received his Ph.D. from the University of Iowa. In 1927, Peterson joined the Chemistry Department faculty at BYU. By 1965, Peterson was retired from the department. Peterson authored the brief history of the Chemistry Department of Brigham Young University. Peterson died March 2, 1982, in Provo, Utah.
Biographical / Historical
The Department of Chemistry was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. In 1921 the department became part of the College of Arts and Sciences and was later transferred to the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences in 1954. In 1973, the department was moved into the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The department was disbanded in 1995 to form the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Department chairs included Charles E. Maw (1920-1945), Joseph K. Nicholes (1946-1956), H. Smith Broadbent (1955-1958), Keith P. Anderson (1958-1960); and Albert D. Swenson (1960-1964).
Language of Materials
Title from inventory.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US