Department of Chemistry chair records, 1957-1961
Scope and Contents
Records of the Department of Chemistry chair at Brigham Young University (Keith P. Anderson), dated 1957 to 1961. Includes memorandums, letters, forms, reports, schedules, and other documents regarding employees, students, the American Chemistry Society, and other administrative topics.
- Brigham Young University. Department of Chemistry (creator, Organization)
- Anderson, Keith P., 1919- (contributor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy. Photographs in folders 17 and 18 are condition restricted, items kept in cold storage.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
The Department of Chemistry was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. In 1921 the department became part of the College of Arts and Sciences and was later transferred to the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences in 1954. In 1973, the department was moved into the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The department was disbanded in 1995 to form the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Department chairs included Charles E. Maw (1920-1945), Joseph K. Nicholes (1946-1956), H. Smith Broadbent (1955-1958), and Keith P. Anderson (1958-1960).
Biographical / Historical
Keith P. Anderson was born on October 6, 1919 in Morgan, Utah to parents Everett Elydore Anderson and Julia Ann Phillips. In October 1939, he immigrated to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where he lived until May 1942 while serving in the South American mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Anderson served in the United States Army during World War II beginning on July 22, 1942. He went on to marry Mary Elinor Davis on November 12, 1942, with whom he had at least one child. He worked as department chair of the Brigham Young University Chemistry Department in Provo, Utah from 1958-1960. Anderson passed away on April 19, 1991 in Provo, Utah.
Language of Materials
Title from inventory.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US