BYU Photo contact sheets and photographs, 1875-2001, bulk: 1970-2001
Scope and Contents
Consists of contact sheets, mainly black and white, and photograph prints, mainly color, corresponding to the negatives in series 1, including color contact sheets printed from compact discs. Dated 1970 to 2001. Images include various performing groups (Ballroom Dance, Folk Dance, Lamanite Generation/Living Legends, and Young Ambassadors, both on campus and touring), and general campus themes, including graduations, students on campus, administrators and leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Homecoming.
- Majority of material found within 1970-2001
- Brigham Young University. News Bureau (Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Public Communications (Organization)
- Brigham Young University. University Communications (Organization)
- Brigham Young University. University Photography (Organization)
- BYU Photo (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research. Negatives and transparencies are condition restricted and kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Brigham Young University News Bureau was established around 1952 and was responsible for overseeing university news publications. The unit later became the Brigham Young University Public Communications Department in 1978.
Brigham Young University Public Communications was responsible for overseeing mass media on all levels at the university, including publications such as BYU Today. The unit became University Communications in 1997.
University Communications (1997- ) is a department of Brigham Young University as of 2022, and is responsible for producing media resources, including publications such as BYU Today.
University Photography (2004-2009) was an administrative unit in the University Communications division of Brigham Young University. The unit was responsible for documenting university events and personnel. In 2009 it was renamed BYU Photo.
BYU Photo (est. 2009) is an administrative unit at Brigham Young University responsible for documenting university events and personnel. The unit was previously named University Photography.
Language of Materials
Arranged in five subseries: 1. BYU Photo contact sheets and photographs of Entertainment Division, 1976-2001. 2. BYU Photo contact sheets and photographs of International Folk Dance Ensemble, 1975-2000. 3. BYU Photo contact sheets and photographs of Living Legends, 1977-2000. 4. BYU Photo contact sheets and photographs of Young Ambassadors, 1976-2000. 5. BYU Photo general contact sheets and photographs, 1875-2001, bulk 1970-2001.
- BYU Photo
- Brigham Young University. News Bureau
- Brigham Young University. Public Communications
- Brigham Young University. University Communications
- Brigham Young University. University Photography
- College administrators
- College buildings -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs
- College students -- Utah -- Provo -- Social life and customs
- College teachers -- Utah -- Provo
- College theater -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs
- Contact sheets
- Dance companies -- Utah -- Provo
- Music -- Performance -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs
- Universities and colleges -- Employees