Student Auxiliary Services slides of Food Services, 1970-1986
Scope and Contents
Contains slides of photographs taken of various subsets of BYU Food Services, including catering, the Morris Center, the Cannon Center, the Cougareat, the Skyroom, concessions, Provo Temple dining, vending, the Dairy Laboratory, and employees. Slides cover topics including food preparation, food displays, and employee training, 1970-1986.
- Brigham Young University. Student Auxiliary Services (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. General Services (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish from the Student Auxiliary Services photographs and negatives must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
Student Auxiliary Services (1986- ) administrates various services offered by Brigham Young University.
The Student Auxiliary Services (SAS) was established in 1986 as an administration body within Brigham Young University. In 1989 the Assistant Administrative Vice-President took over the chief administrative role, and the SAS assumed a wider variety of services and departments. In 1996, SAS was placed under Student Life and directed by the Assistant Student Life Vice-President. SAS currently acts as the central administrative body over a vast array of campus services and organizations including the bookstore, Dining Services, Discontinuance Office, Food Services, Handicapped Student Services, and Housing Services. The following have served as officials over SAS: Norman Roberts (Coordinator, 1986-1988), R. Michael Whitaker (Associate Director, 1988), Dean Fairbank (Assistant Administrative Vice-President, 1990-2001), David A. Hunt (2001- ).
Auxiliary Services (1954-1969) oversaw a variety of services provided by Brigham Young University.
Auxiliary Services was created in 1954 in order to officiate over a large group of previously unincorporated university services including Farm Operations, Creamery, Laundry, Food Buying, Food Service, Photo Studio, Student Housing, University Press, Purchasing, Campus Planning, and Motion Picture Production. The organization existed until 1969 when the services were dispersed under the direction of various vice-presidents and assistant vice-presidents. Directors included: Ben E. Lewis (1954-1966) and Fred Schwendiman (1966-1969).
General Services (1972-1990) managed a variety of services offered by Brigham Young University.
General Services was formed in 1972 when the Auxiliary Special Services and the Department of Housing were combined into one unit. The Assistant Vice-President for Business acted through General Services in order to administrate Agricultural Operations, Auxiliary Maintenance, Auxiliary Special Services, the BYU Bookstore, Food Services, Purchasing, and to gave direction and assistance to the Director of Housing. General Services was also responsible for providing management and skills training programs, necessary safety programs, and to coordinate food and housing needs for summer conferences, as well as coordinating university services to the Language Training Mission (1972-1980). In addition, General Services worked with the director of Housing to provide adequate housing both on and off campus for students. Heads of the department included Rulon G. Craven (1972), Clyde Bair (1972-1987), and Delyle Barton (1987-1990). In 1990, the organization's functions were assumed by Student Auxiliary Services.
Language of Materials
Contains eight subseries: 1. General Services slides of catering, 1973-1984. 2. Student Auxiliary Services slides of the Morris Center and Cannon Center cafeterias, 1974-1986. 3. General Services slides of the Cougareat Food Court and Skyroom Restaurant, 1973-1983. 4. General Services slides of Concessions, 1973-1976. 5. Auxiliary Services slides of Provo Temple dining, 1970. 6. General Services slides of vending, 1972-1974. 7. General Services slides of the Dairy Laboratory, 1973. 8. General Services slides of dining employees, 1974-1979.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US