Skip to main content

School of Music records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5402

Scope and Contents

Materials include correspondence, memoranda, programs, reports, meeting minutes, and other materials concerning the School of Music, including class materials, faculty files, performing group files, and other general office files. Dated 1980-2001.

Dates

  • 1980-2001

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the School of Music records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Department of Music (1883-1998) became the School of Music.

The department of Music was organized in 1883 with Nettie Southworth as the first chair. Succeeding chairs have been Ottilie Maeser, John J. McClellan, Anthony C. Lund, Clair W. Reed, Florence Jepperson-Madsen, Robert Sauer, LeRoy J. Robertson, John R. Halliday, Crawford Gates, A. Harold Goodman, James A. Mason and K. Newell Dayley. Early in the history of the Brigham Young Academy, a choir was organized to provide appropriate music for religious gatherings. This choir stimulated other activities which later led to the development of the Music Department as a voluntary extracurricular activity for interested scholars. It eventually came to be a department as music made a major contribution to the cultural development of the school. One of the lasting traditions of Brigham Young University is its strong cultural emphasis and support of the fine arts. The strength of the school lies in its resources—students, faculty, facilities, and the university and community. BYU's School of Music is comprehensive, with 52 full-time and 58 part-time faculty teaching private instruction, ensembles, education, music theory, history, and conducting, plus other exciting fields of study. The Brigham Young University School of Music is accredited by NASM, the National Association of Schools of Music.

Administrative History

The School of Music (1998- ) functions under the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University and provides undergraduate and graduate degrees in various musical fields.

The Department of Music was renamed in 1998 as the School of Music. The school offers degrees in the disciplines of: theory, analysis, aural development, keyboard, sight-singing skills, composition, history, literature, instrumental and vocal performance, conducting, and pedagogy. The school operates under a director who reports to the Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Directors have included David M. Randall (1998-2004), Dale E. Monson (2004-2009), and Kory Katseanes (2009- ).

Extent

8 cartons (8 linear ft.)

Language

English

Overview

Collection of correspondence, memoranda, programs, reports, meeting minutes, and other materials concerning the School of Music.

Arrangement

Arranged in ten series: 1. Office records. 2. Files on education. 3. Faculty records. 4. Records on performance groups and tours. 5. Committee records. 6. Administrative assistant files. 7. Production records. 8. Correspodence. 9. Development and endowment records. 10. Records on donors.

Custodial History

Transferred from Records Management in June 2008.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Records Management; June 2008.

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information

Processed; Elizabeth West; June 2008.
Title
Register of School of Music records
Status
Completed
Author
Sarah Flinders
Date
2013 July 17
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States