Skip to main content

Department of Educational Psychology records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 900

Scope and Contents

Contains admissions procedures, course outlines and syllabi, program descriptions, handouts, examinations, handbooks, minutes, forms, accreditation reports, faculty vitae, policies, class schedules, and College of Education booklets.

Dates

  • 1987-1991

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Educational Psychology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative history

The Audiology and Speech Language Pathology department had its foundings at BYU in the 1930's with the work of Dr. Alonzo Morley. Dr. Morley was head of the Department of Speech Therapy, Audiology, and Drama under the College of Fine Arts and Communications. In 1968, Dr. Parley Newman began his career-long project to get BYU's audiology program accredited. The Department of Speech Therapy, Audiology, and Drama functioned under the College of Fine Arts and Communications until 1980 when the department moved into the John Taylor building along with other colleges now falling under the College of Education. Dr. Gordon Lowe headed the department during the transition. At this time, there were two separate programs functioning at BYU, a speech therapy program and a special education program. In 1981-1982, the BYU administration decided to combine the two programs to form the Audiology program. This program was a mix of the two previous ones. By 1983, the dual programs at BYU were completely dismantled and the program was revamped to fit more needs. In 1991, the department was once again combined with the Special Education department to form the Educational Pyschology department. This union lasted until 1999 when the departments were reorganized and the audiology program became part of the current Audiology and Speech Language Pathology department headquartered in the John Taylor building. The mission of the Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Department is to advance knowledge and learning in science and clinical practice through research, teaching, and clinical service.

Extent

3 cartons (3 linear ft.)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from Records Management, December 1999.

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Title
Register of Department of Educational Psychology records
Status
Completed
Author
Lucy Brimhall
Date
2013 April 16
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States