Skip to main content

College of Biology and Agriculture photographs

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 823

Scope and Contents

Collection includes photographs of the deans, faculty, classes, facilities, and groups of the College of Biology and Agriculture as well as its predecessors, the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences and the College of Applied Sciences. Dated approximately 1885-2005.

Dates

  • approximately 1885-2005

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from College of Biology and Agriculture photographs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The College of Biology and Agriculture (1983-2008) previously the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences, was established within Brigham Young University and continued under its name until it was established as the College of Life Sciences.

The college was administered by a dean under the direction of the president of the university. Between 1983 and 2008, the deans of the college were as follows: Bruce Nephi Smith (1983-1988), Clayton S. Huber (1988-1998), R. Kent Crookston (1998-2005), and Rodney J. Brown (2005-2007).

The College of Biology and Agriculture was originally organized to give students a general understanding of the fundamental principles of plant and animal life and their relationship to the world in which they live. In addition, the college facilitated agricultural research, production, marketing, and an understanding of how scientific and technological developments had a solid foundation in the basic sciences.

The College of Biology and Agriculture was the administering body for the following departments: Agricultural Economics, Agronomy and Horticulture, Animal Science, Botany and Range Science, Food Science and Nutrition, Microbiology, Zoology, Biology Teaching, Biology (Composite Teaching), Biology, Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Integrative Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Physiology and Developmental Biology, Plant and Animal Sciences, and Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science.

Administrative History

The College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1954-1983) was created under Brigham Young University and divided into two divisions one to instruct students in fields of biology and another to instruct in fields pertaining to agriculture.

The College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences, previously the College of Applied Science, was established within Brigham Young University in 1954 and continued in operation under its name until it was established as the College of Biology and Agriculture in 1983. Between 1954 and 1983 the deans and acting deans of the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences were as follows: Clarence Cottam (1954-1955), Raymond B. Farnsworth (1955-1959), Merrill J. Hallam (1959-1960 acting dean; 1960-1961 dean), Rudger H. Walker (1961-70), A. Lester Allen (1970-1982), and Bruce Nephi Smith (1982-1983).

The College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences was the administering body for the following departments: Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Bacteriology, Botany, Horticulture and Horticultural Specialties, Industrial Arts and Drawing, Zoology and Entomology, Agricultural Economics, Animal Science, Horticulture, Agronomy and Horticulture, Microbiology, Biological and Agricultural Education, Botany and Range Science, Zoology, Food Science and Nutrition, and Range Science. The college was administered by a dean under the direction of the president of the university.

Administrative History

The College of Applied Science (1922-1954) was an academic college at Brigham Young University.

The College of Applied Science was responsible for administering academic departments and institutes in the area of agriculture, home economics, and industrial arts. In 1954, it split to form the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences and the College of Family Living.

Extent

5 folders (0.5 linear ft.)

Language

English

Custodial History

Transferred from the College of Biology and Agriculture in 1999.

Transferred from the College of Life Sciences in August 2014.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; College of Biology and Agriculture; 1999.

Transferred; College of Life Sciences; August 2014.

Appraisal

University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).

Processing Information

Processed; Lucas J. Chehda; April 2012.

Processed; Hannah Waddel; August 2014.
Title
Register of College of Biology and Agriculture photographs
Status
Completed
Author
Lucas J. Chehda
Date
2012 April 13
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States