Harold B. Lee Library audio-visual training material
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: UA 1204
Scope and Contents
Contains three videos and one DVD used in the training of library staff. Titles include "Murder in the Stacks," "Library Security: Expecting the Unexpected," and "I Am BYU."
- approximately 1990-1999
- Harold B. Lee Library (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Audio-visual training material must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Harold B. Lee Library began as a small collection of books kept in the office of Karl G. Maeser during his time as Principal of Brigham Young Academy. The small library relied almost exclusively on gifts, donations and free material from the Federal Government. Unfortunately, when the Lewis building burned down in 1884, the fire also destroyed the library collection. By the time the Education Building was completed in 1892, a new library had been formed and a room was provided on the second floor of the new building. By 1903, Brigham Young Academy had strengthened its curriculum and enrollment had increased and the name was changed to Brigham Young University. The library continued to grow with the new University and the physical quarters of the library were expanded to an additional room in 1906 to accommodate the growing collection. It moved into the Heber J. Grant Library building in 1925. By 1961 a larger space was needed and the J. Reuben Clark Library building was completed. The name was changed to the Harold B. Lee Library in 1973. The current library has about 98 miles of shelving for the more than 6 million items in its various collections. In addition to the increase in collection space, the library also has a seating capacity of 4,600 people and is the equivalent of 2* football fields from North to South. With over 10,000 patrons entering the building each day, the Harold B. Lee Library has grown significantly from the small collection that began in Principal Maeser's office.
4 folders (0.4 linear ft.)
Transferred from the Learning Resource Center, July 2005.
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; 2005.
- Register of Harold B. Lee Library audio-visual training material
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 November 10
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.