Brigham Young Academy student publications
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1108
Scope and Contents
Contains Brigham Young Academy student magazine publications from 1884 to 1896. Includes copies of the BYA Student, The Normal, The Journal of Pedagogy, and The Business Journal.
- Brigham Young Academy (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Brigham Young Academy student publications must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Brigham Young University traces its roots to Utah's rich pioneer heritage. The original school, Brigham Young Academy, was established Oct. 16, 1875, on a little over one acre of land in what is now downtown Provo. At that time, Brigham Young, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, charged that all secular learning at the institution should be fused with teachings from the scriptures. Speaking to Academy Principal Karl G. Maeser, President Young said, "Brother Maeser, I want you to remember that you ought not to teach even the alphabet or the multiplication tables without the Spirit of God." BYU has remained true to that original charge. Despite steady growth during its early years, the academy was threatened by a series of financial and physical setbacks. With the help and sacrifice of Abraham O. Smoot, the campus moved in 1891 to new facilities located on University Avenue. The academy's curriculum strengthened and enrollment grew. In 1903, the name was officially changed to Brigham Young University. Work began in 1909 on the Maeser Memorial Building, the first of many structures on the university's present site. Successive university administrations oversaw the university's progressive growth, increasing both the number of buildings and the size of the student body. The university's academic development was signified by the inauguration of the school's first doctoral program in 1957. With the help of committed presidents, the university continued to grow, refine its mission and pursue excellence in academics and faith. Today, under the leadership of President Cecil O. Samuelson, the university remains dedicated to the integration of academic excellence with faith in Jesus Christ and His restored gospel.
3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
Finding Aid available in Special Collection and online.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1108.xml
Found in the University Archives stacks, May 2004.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Register of Brigham Young Academy student publications
- Jennifer Kim
- 2011 September 9
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.