Skip to main content

College of Life Sciences dean records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1337

Scope and Contents

Contains information tied to the College of Life Sciences. Included are curriculum papers and department correspondence concerning curriculum requests and changes. Also included are self-study documents, meeting minutes, and general correspondence. Also contained are administrative materials which contain Professional Developmental Committee and National Advisory Board files, annual reports, and academic statistics from various departments. Dates range from 1971 to 2007.

Dates

  • 1971-2007

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from College of Life Sciences dean records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The College of Life Sciences (2007- ) is a college within Brigham Young University that focuses on fields of study surrounding biology.

The College of Life Sciences was formerly known as the College of Biology and Agriculture until May 2007 when it was renamed. The College of Life Sciences serves as the administration for the following departments: Biology; Microbiology and Molecular Biology; Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science; Physiology and Developmental Biology; and Plant and Wildlife Sciences.

The College of Life Sciences served as the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. The College has an operating Advisement Center staffed with secretaries and counselors to assist students with associated classes, majors, and minors. It was administered by a dean, under direction from the university president. At that time, the Dean was Rodney J. Brown with two Associate Deans: John D. Bell and Alan R. Harker as well as two Assistant Deans: John D. Lee and Steven L. Taylor.

Administrative History

The College of Biology and Agriculture (1983-2007) of Brigham Young University was organized to give students a general understanding of the fundamental principles of plant and animal life and their relationship to the world in which they live.

The College of Biology and Agriculture facilitated agricultural research, production, marketing, and an understanding of how scientific and technological developments had a solid foundation in the basic sciences. The College of Biology and Agriculture was the administering body for the following departments: Agricultural Economics, Agronomy and Horticulture, Animal Science, Botany and Range Science, Food Science and Nutrition, Microbiology, Zoology, Biology Teaching, Biology (Composite Teaching), Biology, Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Integrative Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Physiology and Developmental Biology, Plant and Animal Sciences, and Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science.

The College of Biology, previously the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences, was established within Brigham Young University in 1983 and continued under its name until it was established as the College of Life Sciences in 2008. The college was administered by a dean under the direction of the president of the university. Between 1983 and 2008, the deans of the college were Bruce Nephi Smith (1983-1989), Clayton S. Huber (1989-1999), R. Kent Crookston (1999-2006), and Rodney J. Brown (2006-07).

Administrative History

The College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (1954-1983) was created under Brigham Young University and divided into two divisions one to instruct students in fields of biology and another to instruct in fields pertaining to agriculture.

The College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences, previously the College of Applied Science, was established within Brigham Young University in 1954 and continued in operation under its name until it was established as the College of Biology and Agriculture in 1983. Between 1954 and 1983 the deans and acting deans of the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences were as follows: Clarence Cottam (1954-1955), Raymond B. Farnsworth (1955-1959), Merrill J. Hallam (1959-1960 acting dean; 1960-1961 dean), Rudger H. Walker (1961-70), A. Lester Allen (1970-1982), and Bruce Nephi Smith (1982-1983).

The College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences was the administering body for the following departments: Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Bacteriology, Botany, Horticulture and Horticultural Specialties, Industrial Arts and Drawing, Zoology and Entomology, Agricultural Economics, Animal Science, Horticulture, Agronomy and Horticulture, Microbiology, Biological and Agricultural Education, Botany and Range Science, Zoology, Food Science and Nutrition, and Range Science. The college was administered by a dean under the direction of the president of the university.

Extent

2 cartons (2 linear ft.)

7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Arranged topically and chronologically.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1337.xml

Custodial History

Transferred by Records Management in installments in April 2007 and February 2013.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Records Management; March 2007.

Transferred; Records Management; February 2013.

Appraisal

Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information

Processed; Matthew Leavitt; April 2007.

Processed; Joseph Wiest; 2013.
Title
Register of College of Life Sciences dean records
Status
Completed
Author
Jennifer Kim
Date
2011 September 9
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States