Skip to main content

Department of Geology records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1196

Scope and Contents

Collection pertains to the Department of Geology and includes meeting minutes, scholarship information, TA contracts, geology newsletters, photographs, negatives, slides, annual reports, comencement programs, spring research conference programs and theses. Dates range from 1971-2009.

Dates

  • 1971-2009

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Geology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Department of Geological Sciences (est. 2006) is part of the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences at Brigham Young University.

Since the creation of the Department of Geological Sciences in 2006, Jeffrey D. Keith had been the department chair. Prior to 2006 the department was called the Department of Geology.

The Department of Geological Sciences offered undergraduate degrees in Earth and Space Science Education and Geology (with an optional emphasis in Environmental Geology). Offered minors included Geology and Geology Teaching. A graduate degree was also offered in Geology. Some of the diverse disciplines included general geology, plate tectonics, geochemistry, geophysics, paleontology, environmental geology, petroleum geology, hydrogeology, paleoclimatology, and planetary geology.

Administrative History

The Department of Geology (1968-2006) was a part College of Physical and Engineering Sciences at Brigham Young University.

Previously, it was known as the Department of Geology and Geological Engineering Science. In 2006 the department was called the Department of Geological Sciences. The Department Chairs were: Lehi F. Hintze (1968-1970); W. Revell Phillips (1973-1975); Morris S. Petersen (1975-1983); Dana T. Griffin (1991-1997); Bart J. Kowallis (1997-2003); and Jeffrey D. Keith (2003-2006).

The Department of Geology offered bachelor's degrees in earth science, geology, and geological engineering.

Extent

5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.)

2 cartons (2 linear ft.)

Language

English

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1196.xml

Custodial History

Transferred; Records Management; June 2005. Transferred; Records Management; December 2012.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from Records Management, June 2005.

Transferred from Records Management, December 2012.

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information

Processed; Jennifer Kim; September 2011 Processed; Joseph Wiest; December 2012
Title
Register of Department of Geology records
Status
Completed
Author
Jennifer Kim
Date
2011 September 9
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States