Skip to main content

English Department records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1343
Contains information and materials concerning various faculty members of the Brigham Young University English Department. Records included in this collection regard the appointment of faculty. Included are resumes, writing samples, letters, correspondence, memos and newspaper clippings.

Dates

  • 1978-2007

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from English Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Extent

2 boxes (1 linear ft.)

1 carton (1 linear ft.)

Administrative History

The Brigham Young University English Department has been part of the Brigham Young University College of Humanities since 1965.

The Dept. of English includes classes of: rhetoric and composition, advanced composition, short story writing, news writing, advanced narration, teacher's course in grammar, Anglo-Saxon, philology, Chaucer, Shakespeare's tragedies, Shakespeare's comedies, Milton, love and the light, the history and development of the English novel, the Romantic poets, modern continental European drama, modern British drama, the English modern novel, the American modern novel, Tennyson's minor poems, Tennyson's major poems, and Browning.

The Dept. of English was a part of the Church Teachers College until the college was split in 1920. The department was placed under the direction of the School of Arts and Sciences. The department was transferred in 1921 when the School of Arts and Sciences to the renamed the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1954 the department was transferred to the newly established College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and later in 1965 to the College of Humanities. Department chairs included Alfred Osmond (1920-1923), Parley A. Christensen (1923-1954), Leonard W. Rice (1955-1958), Ralph A. Britsch (1958-1960), Bruce B. Clark (1960-1966), Dale H. West (1966-1973), Marshall R. Craig (1973-1975), Richard H. Cracroft (1975-1981), John B. Harris (1981-1986), William A. Wilson (1986-1992), Neal E. Lambert (1992-1996), C. Jay Fox (1996-1999), John S. Tanner (1999-2004), Edward A. Geary (2004-2006), Gregory D. Clark (2006-2007), and Edward S. Cutler (2007-).

Custodial History

These items were transferred to Special Collections in 2007. These items were transferred to Special Collections in 2010.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Records Management; 2007. Transferred; Records Management; 2010.

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Title
Register of English Department records
Status
completed
Author
Jennifer Kim
Date
2011 August 23
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2013 January 14: Addendum of 1 carton to the collection. Date ranges expanded, scope and content note revised, historical note revised and subjects added; Joseph Wiest; 2013.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States