Skip to main content

School of Music programs

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 761

Scope and Contents

Contains annual compilations of programs distributed at music performances of Brigham Young University's School of Music in Provo, Utah. Each of the 48 volumes contains programs for a given school year. Collection has volumes from 1948-2018 except for the following years: 1982-1983 through 1995-1996, 1997-1998 and 1998-1999.

Dates

  • 1948-2018

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from School of Music programs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.

Administrative History

Department of Music (1920-1998) was responsible for teaching a variety of courses in music. The courses included basic voice, choir, military band, piano, orchestra, band, solfeggio, and composition. Private courses were available to students at an additional cost in violin, clarinet, and cornet. Beginning in 1921 music theory courses were added to the curriculum.

The Department of Music was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).

The department was administered by a department chair, under the direction of a college dean. The department was associated with various colleges, including the School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921), the College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1925), the College of Fine Arts (1925-1964), and the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1964-1998).

Administrative History

The School of Music (1998- ) functions under the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University and provides undergraduate and graduate degrees in various musical fields.

The Department of Music was renamed in 1998 as the School of Music. The school offers degrees in the disciplines of: theory, analysis, aural development, keyboard, sight-singing skills, composition, history, literature, instrumental and vocal performance, conducting, and pedagogy. The school operates under a director who reports to the Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Directors have included David M. Randall (1998-2004), Dale E. Monson (2004-2009), and Kory Katseanes (2009- ).

Extent

14 boxes (7 linear ft.)

Language

English

Custodial History

Volumes from 2012-2017 transferred from Brigham Young University School of Music in September 2017. Volumes from 2017-2018 transferred from the School of Music in November 2018.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; School of Music; September 2017.

Transferred; School of Music; November 2018.

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Campus activities (University Archives Collection Development Policy, V. b. ii. 2. c, October 2015).

Processing Information

Processed; Hayley Gorham, student manuscript processor; 2017.

Processed; Cory Nimer; 2018.
Title
Register of School of Music programs
Status
Completed
Author
Jennifer Kim
Date
2011 August 16
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States