Skip to main content

Physical Plant Department records

 Collection — oversize: 1
Identifier: UA 1330

Scope and Contents

Contains records from the Physical Plant Department including correspondence, memos, blueprints, contracts, photographs, audio cassettes and program requirements. Materials date from 1946 to 1980.

Dates

  • 1946-1980

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Physical Plant Department records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Department of Buildings and Grounds (1947-1954) coordinated the maintenance of Brigham Young University campus buildings and grounds.

The Department of Buildings and Grounds was established in 1947 under superintendent Leland M. Perry and became the Physical Plant Department in 1954. Various supervisors reported to the superintendence who reported to a vice president of the University.

The department was responsible for the following: installations, alterations, and maintenance of the campus communications systems, such as telephones, fire alarms, and the distribution of campus mail; custodial work in all campus buildings; landscaping, care, and maintenance of all grounds, vacant lots, and other property owned by the University, including parking and campus police; maintenance, operation, alterations, and repair of all plumbing, heating, ventilating, and electrical systems on University property; mechanical shops operated by the University; carpenter shop and mill operated by the University (this did not include academic shops); maintenance, repair, alterations, and up-keep of all University-owned buildings; all new construction on University-owned property; a central warehouse and receiving department for the University; engineering, design, and survey or inspection work pertaining to maintenance of new construction; perpetual inventory of all furniture and equipment of the University; custody, maintenance, and repair of all automotive and other mechanical equipment of the University; central key register and control for the entire University; management and operation of Wymount Village.

In 1954 the Department of Buildings and Grounds was renamed the Physical Plant Department.

Administrative History

The Physical Plant Department (1954- ) functions to coordinate the building and grounds maintenance of Brigham Young University.

The Physical Plant Department, previously the Department of Buildings and Grounds, was established in 1954. The Physical Plant functions under the Physical Facilities Division and is responsible for maintaining university utilities, overseeing engineering and construction, maintaining the grounds, maintaining the buildings (including custodial services), overseeing transportation services, and administering to campus projects. Directors of the department have included Leland M. Perry (1954-1957), Sam F. Brewster (1957-1974), Fred A. Schwendiman (1974), Harold J. Anderson (1979-1986), Douglas Christensen (1986-1990), and Scott Briggs (1990- )

Extent

46 cartons (46 linear ft.)

1 oversize folder (4 linear ft.)

1 oversize box (1.3 linear ft.)

1 half box (0.25 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Arranged in seven series: 1. Physical Plant Department minutes, 1959-1980. 2. Physical Plant Department correspondence, 1947-1978. 3. Physical Plant Department records on campus buildings, 1946-1979. 4. Physical Plant Department budget records, 1947-1979. 5. Physical Plant Department records on special projects, 1954-1976. 6. Physical Plant Department general files, 1947-1980. 7. Physical Plant Department scrapbook, 1962. 8. Physical Plant Department director audiocassettes, approximately 1960-1980.

Custodial History

These items were donated to Special Collections in 2007. During processing the collection was merged with the Samuel F. Brewster Building records (UA 119). Audio cassettes found in the University Archives stacks in January 2015.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; 2007.

Found; University Archives stacks; January 2015.

Appraisal

Department records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information

Processed; Dani Peterson; November 2011.

Processed; Erin Owens; April 2015.
Title
Register of Physical Plant Department records
Status
Completed
Author
Dani Peterson
Date
2011 November 7
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States