Skip to main content

Aspen Grove Family Camp records

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: UA 5567
Contains CD-ROMs, theses, articles, brochures, and other materials associated with Aspen Grove Family Camp. Also includes information on the history of the Aspen Grove area. Materials date from between 1963 and 2011.

Dates

  • 1963-2011

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Aspen Grove Family Camp records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Extent

1 box (0.5 linear ft.)

Administrative History

The Brigham Young University Alumni Association (est. 1903) is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the welfare of university and generating interest in the university among its alumni.

The Alumni Association was established in 1903 in a reorganization of the Brigham Young Academy Alumni Association, which had existed since 1893. During the years 1926-1938, it was generally known as the Associated Alumni of Brigham Young University. It has been an active member organization in the American Alumni Council since 1926. In 2009, the Alumni Association gave up its governing and fiduciary responsibilities and became an advisory body to the department of Alumni Relations.

The Alumni Association is headed by the executive committee of a board. Beginning in 1956, the governing body of the Alumni Association was the Alumni Council, an advisory committee composed of representatives from each stake and mission in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as ex officio members from various departments and divisions of Brigham Young University. Also included in the board are chapter and other directors acting under the direction of the executive committee. The Association is a volunteer organization closely associated with the Department of Alumni Relations. Beginning in 2009 the board reports directly to the university president.

Presidents of the organization have included Joseph R. Murdock (1903-1904), Anthony C. Lund (1904-1905), Stephen L. Chipman (1905-1906), J. Will Knight (1906-1907), William E. Rydalch (1907-1908), Heber C. Jex (1908-1909), W. Lester Mangum (1909-1910), William E. Ryalen (1910-1911), Joseph B. Keller (1911-1912), Thomas N. Taylor (1912-1913), Edward H. Holt (1913-1915), Arthur Candland (1915-1916), R. Eugene Allen (1916-1919), Eugene L. Roberts (1919-1920), Henry Aldous Dixon (1920-1921), Herald R. Clark (1921-1922), Horace G. Merrill (1922-1923), Hugh M. Woodward (1923-1924), Edwin S. Hinckley (1924-1925), Oscar A. Kirkham (1925-1927), Richard R. Lyman (1927-1930), R. Leo Bird (1930-1933), Isaac E. Brockbank (1933-1935), Fred R. Hinckley (1935-1936), Earl J. Glade (1936-1938), Lynn S. Richards (1938-1938), J. Clifton Moffitt (1938-1939), Junius M. Jackson (1939-1940), Bryant S. Hinckley (1940-1941), George Albert Smith (1941-1942), Marion J. Greenwood (1942-1944), Don B. Colton (1944-1945), L. Weston Oaks (1945-1946), Harold R. Clark (1946-1947), Clyde D. Sandgren (1947-1951), Roy Broadbent (1951-1952), Wallace W. Brockbank (1952-1953), Raymond B. Holbrook (1953-1955), S. Lynn Richards (1955-1956), Grant Thorn (1956-1957), G. Robert Ruff (1957-1959), Clyde J. Summerhays (1957-1959), DaCosta Clark (1960-1961), E. Lamar Buckner (1961-1962), Sanford M. Bingham (1962-1963), Arch L. Madsen (1963-1964), Phillip V. Christensen (1964-1965), Harold H. Smith (1965-1967), William Sorensen (1967-1968), Howard C. Maycock (1968-1969), Ernest Ludlow Wilkinson (1969-1971), Don Alder (1971-1972), Fred L. Markham (1972-1973), Albert Choules, Jr. (1973-1974), Roy E. Christensen (1974-1975), Harold P. Christensen (1975-1976), Dr. John Zenger (1977-1978), Robert Thorn (1978-1979), Gloria Firmage (1979-1980), Howard Edwards (1980-1981), Nancy Rooker (1981-1982), John Stohlton (1982-1983), Paul Eckel (1983-1984), Kieth Merrill (1984-1985), Anna Marie Hales (1985-1986), David K. Udall (1986-1987), Steven R. Shallenberger (1987-1988), Richard Galbraith (1988-1989), Joan Peterson Fisher (1989-1990), David P. Forsyth (1990-1991), W. Kenneth Thiess (1991-1992), Dr. E. Bruce McIff (1992-1993), Dr. Glenna Cooper Boyce (1993-1995), Tom Hart (1995-1997), Paul E. Gilbert (1997-1999), Diana Peterson (1999-2000), Russell Booth (2000-2002), Brent Romney (2002-2004), Carr Krueger II (2004-2006), J. Craig McIlroy (2006-2008), Bruce Olsen (2008-2008), Dee T. Allsop (2008-2010), and Chris Feinauer (2010-).
Administrative History Aspen Grove Family Camp (est. 1963) is an camping and conference center in Aspen Grove, Utah.

Aspen Grove initially connected to Brigham Young University for educational purposes and is now a large camping destination for families.

Aspen Grove first became linked with Brigham Young University when the late Eugene L. Roberts used the area as the starting point of the annual Timp hike in 1911. About 10 years later, the Stewart family donated approximately 35 acres of this land to BYU. In 1922 Brigham Young University scheduled the Alpine Summer School at Aspen Grove. The staff and students lived in tents and studied botany, zoology and geology. In 1923 a kitchen, dining hall, and three dormitories were erected. Later, during World War II, summer school was abandoned at Aspen Grove for various war-related reasons. Raymond Beckham, director of the Alumni Association, became interested in using the area as a family camp for BYU in 1956. At a board meeting on October 10, 1962, the project was approved. More than 111 alumni were approached and each signed a personal note for $1,000 to finance construction. Construction began in the fall of 1962. The swimming pool was excavated, the softball field leveled, sewer lines started, cabin sites selected, and camp roads established. The camp opened for business July 13, 1963. The average number of families during the first years of the camp was eight each week. The camp's popular dinner bell came from a 3500 series coal-fired steam engine donated by the Union Pacific Railroad. Aspen Grove has grown to an average occupancy of 80 families per week. The camp personnel serve as hosts to thousands of guests each year.

Arrangement

Maintained in original order.

Custodial History

Transferred from Aspen Grove Family Camp in April 2011.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Aspen Grove Family Camp; April 2011.

Appraisal

University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).

Related Materials

See also Beckham Lodge dedication (UA 5518).

Processing Information

Processed; Elizabeth West; April 2011.
Title
Register of the Aspen Grove Family Camp records
Status
completed
Author
Elizabeth West
Date
2011 April 20
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States