Skip to main content

Ephraim Hatch collection on Brigham Young University campus development

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 923

Scope and Contents

Includes pictorial histories of building construction at BYU, 1875-1975, arranged chronologically by university president; pictorial survey of BYU Physical Plant Dept., 1974; pictorial histories of individual campus structures built and remodeled during 1970s and early 1980s; and photographs, slides, and negatives of campus buildings and personnel, and other schools operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Includes views of construction of Provo and Jordan River temples. Also includes views of BYU-Hawaii campus, Ricks College campus, Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies, and Missionary Training Center adjacent to BYU. Materials mostly compiled as part of Hatch's work in BYU Physical Plant Department.

Dates

  • approximately 1974-1991

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Ephraim Hatch collection on Brigham Young University campus development must be obtained from the Permissions & Licensing Office of the University and the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

Ephraim Hatch (born 1920) is a retired architectural programmer in Utah.

Ephraim Hatch was born on May 18, 1920 in Woods Cross, Utah to John Russel and Gwendlyn Hatch. He attended Provo High School, graduating in 1939, then did two years at Brigham Young University. During the Second World War he worked for Boeing, then served as an electronics technician in the United States Navy. He married Verena Ursenbach in 1944, and they had six children.

After leaving the service, Hatch and his family settled in Provo, Utah where he initially worked as a home builder. He later joined the Physical Facilities Division at Brigham Young University, where he worked in the Special Projects Office developing requirements for campus building projects. In this role he also researched and wrote about the history of campus buildings and physical facilities. Hatch worked for the university for twenty-five years, retiring in 1982.

Extent

18 boxes (9 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Arranged in two series: 1. M. Ephraim Hatch bound volumes, 1875-1975; and 2. M. Ephraim Hatch loose images, 1971-1988.

Other Finding Aids

A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA923.xml

Custodial History

Materials received at various times from M. Ephraim Hatch between about 1975 and 1990s.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; M. Ephraim Hatch; 1975-1990s.

Appraisal

University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010)

Processing Information

Processed; Brian D. Reeves, Carrie Strong, and Megan Schreiber; March 2001.

Creator

Title
Register of the Ephraim Hatch collection on Brigham Young University campus development
Status
Completed
Author
Brian D. Reeves, Carrie Strong, and Megan Schreiber
Date
2001 March
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States