Skip to main content

Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 684

Scope and Contents note

Includes records and correspondence of Lael Woodbury and Morris Clinger.

Dates

  • 1947-1989

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use note

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Biographical History

The Department began in 1921 as the the Department of Public Speaking and Dramatic Arts, and has been called many different names over the years. The name was changed to the Department of Threatre and Cinematic Arts in 1975 and then was changed to the Department of Theatre and Film in 1988.

The Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts has undergone several name changes during its existence. It began as the Department of Public Speaking and Dramatic Arts in 1921 and became the Department of Speech in 1930. In 1953 it was renamed the Department of Speech and Dramatic arts which was divided into the Department of Dramatic Arts and the Department of Speech in 1961. In 1968 the separate departments were combined to once again create the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts. The department became the Department of Theater and Cinematic Arts in 1975 and the Department of Theatre and Film in 1988.

T. Earl Pardoe was named Chair of the Department of Public Speaking and Dramatic Arts in 1921 and remained chair of the Department of Speech until 1951. He was succeeded by Harold T. Hansen who was chair successively of the Speech, Speech and Dramatic Arts, and Dramatic Arts Departments until he retired in 1965. He was succeeded as chair of the Department of Dramatic Arts by Lael J. Woodbury who continued as chair of the recombined Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts until 1971 when he was succeeded by Parley W. Newman. Morris M. Clinger was chair of the Department of Speech from 1961 to 1968 when it was a separate department. Parley W. Newman was chair of the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts until 1975 when he was succeeded by Charles L. Metten who was succeeded in 1980 by the current chair, Harold R. Oaks.

Extent

6 boxes (3 linear ft.)

Language

English

Abstract

Includes records and correspondence of Lael Woodbury and Morris Clinger.

Arrangement note

Arranged in 3 series: 1. Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts correspondence, 1955-1969; 2. Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts minutes, 1955-1989; and 3. Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts general department files, 1955-1981

Arranged alphabetically within series

Other Finding Aids note

A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA684.xml

Custodial History note

Transferred from the Department of Theatre and Film.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Donated; Department of Theatre and Film.

Appraisal note

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information note

Processed; James J. Dooley; 1947-1989.
Title
Register of the Department of Theatre and Cinematic Arts records
Status
Completed
Author
James J. Dooley
Date
1947-1989
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States