Skip to main content

College of Nursing records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 653

Scope and Contents

Contains college and committee minutes, and a few course syllabi for historical interest.

Dates

  • 1962-1987

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the College of Nursing records must be obtained from the Permissions & Licensing Office of the University and the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

Brigham Young University's School of Nursing became the College of Nursing in 1958. Since then, the significant increase in the number of LDS faculty with a Master's degree led to the beginning of many new changes for the college. For the first time since the college's organization, it had a dean who was a member of the Church with the qualifications required by the Collegiate Board of Review of the National League of Nursing. The college went on and developed an aututorial laboratory and carried out a major curriculum revision. The idea of an associate degree in nursing began to exert itself in the 1950's and developed rapidly in the Western United States. Health care groups soon looked to associate degree programs as one important way of relieving the shortages of nurses in Utah. In September 1963, an associate degree program was established. Many neighboring hospitals and medical facilities are presently being used for the training of BYU nursing students. A humanistic approach makes it possible to develop qualities which are essential for the practice of nursing.

Brigham Young University's School of Nursing became the College of Nursing in 1958. Since then, the significant increase in the number of LDS faculty with a Master's degree led to the beginning of many new changes for the college. For the first time since the college's organization, it had a dean who was a member of the Church with the qualifications required by the Collegiate Board of Review of the National League of Nursing. The college went on and developed an aututorial laboratory and carried out a major curriculum revision. The idea of an associate degree in nursing began to exert itself in the 1950's and developed rapidly in the Western United States. Health care groups soon looked to associate degree programs as one important way of relieving the shortages of nurses in Utah. In September 1963, an associate degree program was established. Many neighboring hospitals and medical facilities are presently being used for the training of BYU nursing students. A humanistic approach makes it possible to develop qualities which are essential for the practice of nursing.

Extent

6 boxes (3 linear ft.)

Language

English

Abstract

Contains college and committee minutes, and a few course syllabi for historical interest.

Other Finding Aids

A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA653.xml

Custodial History

These files are an accumulation of PM 9. Originally part of a larger Printed Matter collection in University Archives, PM 9 was considered static, and has been processed as permanent, September 1992.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; College of Nursing.

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information

Processed; 2002.
Title
Register of the College of Nursing records
Status
Completed
Date
2002
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States