Skip to main content

Institute of American Indian Services and Research records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 623

Scope and Contents

Contains office information, financial files, correspondence, missionary files, project files, personal files, and other miscellaneous materials associated with the collection.

Dates

  • 1956-1978

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Institute of American Indian Services and Research collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

Established in 1960, the Institute of American Indian Studies and Research services various agencies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with programs that relate to the Indians of America; to assist BYU and other units within the Unified Church School system to develop programs for the enlargement and improvement of the educational opportunities for Indians; to cooperate with governmental agencies in their attempts to improve Indian adjustment to a more satisfactory participation within the predominant society; and to work with Indian tribes or groups as they attempt to solve their own problems.

The institute was approved in 1958 but did not officially begin operations until the 1960-1961 school year. Elder Spencer W. Kimball served as honorary chairman of the institute, while remaining staff included Lyman S. Tyler, director; John T. Bernhard; Ward Despain; Bob Guiellian, secretary; and BYU President Ernest L. Wilkinson ex-official member.

With the organization of the institute, the BYU Indian education effort served two purposes: to provide a college education for Native American students, to study Indian needs and social problems, and to initiate programs designed to fill those needs and solve those problems.

In 1964, Paul E. Felt, assistant professor of religion, became the director of the office of Indian Affairs for BYU. In 1965 the official title became the Institute of American Indian Research and Services. The Institute focused on making the resources of BYU and the church available to Indians off campus. Claude Duerden became the Indian student advisor. In 1966, under Dr. Royce Flandro, the Department of Indian Education in the General College became responsible for Indian students on campus.

Coordination and planning of Indian education became the major responsibility of the office. It also continued to assist the administration of the Indian Studies minor program and with the Indian teacher education program of the College of Education.

Dr. Flandro took a sabbatical leave in 1968. Rondo Harmon, who had worked with Flandro as an advisor, became acting chairman of the department, a position he held until Dr. Flandro returned in 1970. Concern for the Lamanite students after graduation led to the establishment of an Indian Alumni Association in 1971. Dr. Arturo DeHoyos assumed responsibility for advising Indian graduate students.

In 1972, Dr. Dale Tingey became director of the Institute with Floyd Larson as his assistant. The Institute was transferred administratively from the General College to the Division of Continuing Education.

Dr. Dale Tingey served as the director of the Institute. William Kelly was his assistant director handling the office affairs and Howard T. Rainer, also assistant director, handled the funding.

The program operated as an extended arm of the University to set up and support Indian programs throughout the country. they deal exclusively with off-campus programs and work closely with the Development Office to obtain grants and funds.

Extent

24 boxes (12 linear ft.)

Language

English

Abstract

Contains office information, financial files, correspondence, missionary files, project files, personal files, and other miscellaneous materials associated with the Collection.

Arrangement

Arranged into nine series: 1. Institute of American Indian Services and Research office information, 1968-1976. 2. Institute of American Indian Services and Research financial files, 1968-1978. 3. Institute of American Indian Services and Research correspondence files, 1966-1977. 4. Institute of American Indian Services and Research missionary files, 1961-1974. 5. Institute of American Indian Services and Research miscellaneous office files, 1971-1974. 6. Institute of American Indian Services and Research: Paul Felt files and projects, 1965-1972. 7. Institute of American Indian Services and Research curriculum, education, and projects files, undated. 8. Institute of American Indian Services and Research newspaper articles on American Indians, 1962-1968. 9. Institute of American Indian Services and Research Larson files, 1956-1972.

Other Finding Aids

A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA623.xml

Custodial History

Materials were transferred from the private collection of the donor.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; Institute of American Services.

Appraisal

Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Related Materials

There are two other Institute Collections in the Department of Archives and Manuscripts: Dale Tingey papers (UA 81) and Institute of American Indian Studies and Research director records (UA 81).

Processing Information

Processed; David Whittaker and Jane Carpenter; 1986.
Title
Register of the Institute of American Indian Services and Research records
Status
Completed
Author
David Whittaker and Jane Carpenter
Date
1986
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States