Collection of diplomas and certificates
- Brigham Young University (Contributor, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from Collection of diplomas and certificates must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
2 oversize folder (0.02 linear ft.)
Brigham Young Academy was the predecessor to Brigham Young University and Brigham Young High School. Brigham Young saw the school as a place where all secular learning should be fused with teachings from the scriptures. Despite steady growth during its early years, the Academy was threatened by a series of financial and physical setbacks. With the help and sacrifice of Abraham O. Smoot, the campus moved in 1891 to new facilities on University Avenue in Provo Utah. The Academy's curriculum strengthened and enrollment grew. In 1903, the name was officially changed to Brigham Young University.
Brigham Young Academy principals included Warren N. Dusenberry (1876), Karl G. Maeser (1876-1892), and Benjamin Cluff (1892-1903).
Brigham Young University was established in 1903 in a renaming of Brigham Young Academy. Past and present Brigham Young University presidents include George H. Brimhall (1903-1921), Franklin S. Harris (1921-1945), Howard S. McDonald (1945-1949), (acting president) Christian Jensen (1949-1951), Ernest L. Wilkinson (1951-1971), Dallin H. Oaks (1971-1980), Jeffrey R. Holland (1980-1989), Rex E. Lee (1989-1995), Merrill J. Bateman (1996-2003), Cecil O. Samuelson (2003-2014), and Kevin J. Worthen (2014- ).
Brigham Young University is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the Church Educational System (CES). The university is governed by a Board of Trustees, which, since 1939, has consisted of the First Presidency of the Church as well as other General Authorities or general officers of the Church appointed by the First Presidency. The Board of Trustees provides general direction and oversees the formulation of broad policies as well as the approval of all executive leadership and faculty appointments at the university. The Board of Trustees delegates to the University President the responsibility to conduct the operations of the institution and administer the policies enacted by the board. The President serves as the chief executive officer and general manager of the University. Since 1996, the President of the university has also been a General Authority of the Church.
Brigham Young University has grown from a small academy to one of the world's largest private universities. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU offers a unique educational environment that promotes learning by study and also by faith.
Other Finding Aids
Margaret Vilate Elliott diploma transferred from the Historic Clothing Collection, collected by the Department of Clothing and Textiles, 2017.
Hester Devenport diploma was donated by Chris Devenport, great-grandson of Hester Devenport, on June 6, 2017. Diploma had been passed down to him through his grandfather, Karl Warner Devenport.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Margaret Vilate Elliott diploma; transferred; 2017.
Hester Devenport diploma; donated; Chris Devenport; June 6, 2017.
Processed; Sadie Hutchinson, student manuscript processor; August 3, 2015.
Processed; Eric Wolford; student manuscript processor; April 12, 2017.
Processed; Jace Packer, student manuscript processor; July 25, 2017.
- Brigham Young Academy -- Faculty
- Brigham Young Academy -- Students
- Brigham Young University -- Students
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty
- Brimhall, George H. (George Henry), 1853-1932
- Cluff, Benjamin, Jr., 1858-1948
- Colleges and Universities
- Devenport, Hester, 1905-1998
- Hinckley, Edwin Smith, 1868-1929
- Maeser, Karl G.
- Register of Collection of diplomas and certificates
- James Cloward
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- 2011 January 11; 2015 August 3: GilEADized to correct small errors. Edited for compliance with DACS and CCLA standards.Added Biographical history notes for all creators, Custodial History note, and Immediate source of Acquisition note.
- 2017 April 12: Material added to collection; Eric Wolford; student manuscript processor; April 2017
- 2017 July: Material added to collection; Jace Packer, student manuscript processor; July 2017