Skip to main content

Division of Continuing Education records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 1088
Collection contains articles, reports, minutes, and dissertations from the division. Includes information on the division's programs, staff, and administration. Materials date from between 1921 and 2005.

Dates

  • 1921-2005

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Division of Continuing Education records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Extent

1 oversize box (1 linear ft.)

1 half box (0.25 linear ft.)

31 boxes (15.5 linear ft.)

Administrative History

The Extension Division (1921-1957) was the unit at Brigham Young University responsible for coordinating distance education and extension work.

The Extension Division was established in 1921 in a reorganization of the earlier Extension Department. It was charged with providing educational services to those outside the university campus, such as off-campus programs, lectures, classroom offerings, and correspondence courses. Directors of the division included Lowry Nelson (1921-1936), Harrison R. Merrill (1936-1939), Carlton Culmsee (1939-1944), Gerrit de Jong (Acting Director, 1944-1946), Thomas L. Broadbent (Acting Director, 1946-1947), and Harold Glen Clark (1947-1957). In 1957 the unit was renamed as Adult Education and Extension Services.
Administrative History Adult Education and Extension Services (est. 1957) was the unit at Brigham Young University responsible for coordinating distance education and extension work.

The division of Adult Education and Extension Services was established in 1957 in a reorganization of the earlier Extension Division. The unit was charged with providing educational services to groups outside the normal day enrollment of the university. Harold Glen Clark served as the dean of the division from its establishment until its reorganization in 1964 as the Division of Continuing Education.
Administrative History The Division of Continuing Education (est. 1964) is an administrative division at Brigham Young University responsible for coordinating distance education offerings, extension services, and conference planning.

Adult Education and Extension Services was renamed in 1964 and became the Division of Continuing Education. The division is designed to provide educational programs and services of the regular University day school to adults who do not have opportunities for day time study. The division services range from off-campus programs, lectures, correspondence study, and community services—both through the off-campus centers and extended programs in wide geographic areas—to formal on-campus classroom offerings, both credit and noncredit, extended and short-term in nature.

Departments within the Division of Continuing Education include the Bachelor of General Studies, Religious Enrichment, EFY Programs, Conferences and Workshops, Evening Classes, Independent Study, and the Salt Lake Center. Deans of the division have included Harold Glen Clark (1964-1973), Stanley A. Peterson (1973-1978), William R. Siddoway (1978-1986), Richard C. Eddy (1986-2009), and Wayne J. Lott (2009- ).

Arrangement

Arranged in eight series: 1. Annual reports. 2. Centennial history. 3. Department records. 4. Course catalogs. 5. Advisory Council minutes. 6. Publications. 7. Faculty records. 8. Collection of dissertations.

Maintained in original order.

Other Finding Aids

A more detailed finding aid is available in the repository.
Other Finding Aids File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1088.xml

Custodial History

Transferred from the Division of Continuing Education prior to 2008.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated; Division of Continuing Education.

Appraisal

Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).

Processing Information

Processed; Katie Shull; February 2004.

Processed; Elizabeth West; January 2008.
Title
Register of Division of Continuing Education records
Status
completed
Author
Matthew Leavitt
Date
2010 April 30
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States