Skip to main content

Department of Political Science records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 1200

Scope and Contents

Consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, student papers, student files, syllabi, self-studies, and reports of the Department of Political Science about political science classes ans research, and administartive activities with the Department of Political Science from 1969 to 2007.

Dates

  • 1965-2007

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Political Science records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Department of Political Science (1921-1979) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Political Science was established in 1921 as part of the division of the earlier Department of History and Political Science, and was initially associated with both the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Commerce and Business Administration. The department was responsible for student instruction in the areas of political theory, politics, public administration, comparative government, and international law and relations. In 1954 the department was moved to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, then in 1966 to the College of Social Sciences. The department was reorganized in 1979 and renamed the Department of Government.

Department chairs in political science included chairs, Christen Jensen (1921-1923, and 1936-1948), Thomas C. Romney (1924-1928), Russel B. Swensen (1950-1954), Russel B. Swensen (1954-1955), Richard D. Poll (1955-1957), Stewart L. Grow (1957-1961), Mark W. Cannon (1961-1964), Jesse W. Reeder (1964-1966), John T. Bernhard (1966-1968), Edwin B. Morrell (1968-1970), and Ray C. Hillam (1970-1979).

Administrative History

The Department of Government (1979-1982) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Government was formed in 1979 in a reorganization of the earlier Department of Political Science. The unit was responsible for student instruction in the areas of political science, public policy, and justice administration. In 1981 the department was moved from the College of Social Sciences to the newly formed College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences. Then, in 1982 the department was again reorganized as the Department of Political Science.

The department chair was F. LaMond Tullis (1981-1982).

Extent

36 boxes (18 linear ft.)

15 cartons (15 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Arranged in six series: 1. Correspondence and meeting minutes. 2. Department of Government senior papers and files. 3. Student papers. 4. Syllabi. 5. Self-studies. 6. Reports.

Other Finding Aids

A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1200.xml

Custodial History

Transferred from Records Management in installments between 2005 and 2010. Additional materials placed in collection in 2014.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Records Management; 2005.

Transferred; Records Management; March 2010.

Found; University Archives; April 2014.

Appraisal

University records (University Archives Collecting Policy, February 2010).

Related Materials

See also Department of Political Science records (UA 526), Department of Political Science records (UA 267).

Processing Information

Processed; Amanda Jo Lindell; August 2005.

Processed; Kayla Quinney; April 2010.

Processed; Sarah Markle; May 2014.
Title
Register of Department of Political Science records
Status
Completed
Author
Amanda Jo Lindell and Kayla Quinney
Date
August 2005
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Sponsor
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States