Skip to main content

Department of Technology records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 1119

Scope and Contents

Collection includes photographs, administrative records, correspondence, and memoranda. In addition, there are curriculum proposals, teaching materials, and numerous photographs and slides. All materials relate to the Department of Technology from 1955-1990.

Dates

  • 1955-1990

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Department of Technology records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Department of Technology (1972-1990) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The department was established in 1972 in a reorganization of the earlier Department of Industrial Technology, and provided course instruction in engineering and technology design, electronics, and manufacturing technologies, as well as aspects of construction management. It provided two-year associate's degrees for technicians and four-year bachelor's degrees. Department chairs included Ross "J" McArthur (1972-1979), Kay F. Brown (1979-1980), John J. Kunzler, Jr. (1981-1986), E. Max Raisor (1986-1987), J. L. Carroll (1987-1989), and John J. Kunzler (1989-1990).

The department reported to various colleges during its existence, including the College of Industrial and Technical Education (1972-1973), the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology (1973-1984), and the College of Engineering and Technology (1984-1990). In 1990 the department merged into the newly formed Department of Manufacturing Engineering and Technology.

Administrative History

The Department of Industrial Education (1959-1993) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The department was established in 1959 in a reorganization of the earlier Department of Industrial Arts and Drawing. It provided baccalaureate programs for Industrial Arts and Technical Education teachers, as well as master's degree for master teacher certification as well as for coordinators, administrators, and supervisors in industrial and technical education. Courses taught by the department included Woodwork Fundamentals, Graphic Arts, Metal Crafts, and Lapidary.

The department resided in various parts of the university organization, including the General College (1959-1966), the College of Industrial and Technical Education (1966-1973), the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology (1973-1984), and the College of Engineering and Technology (1984-1993). In 1966 the department was split to create the Department of Industrial Technology. Department chairs in Industrial Education were Edwin C. Hinckley (1966-1972), William E. McKell (1972-1973), and Garth A. Hill (1984-1993). In 1993 the department was renamed as the Department of Technology Education and Construction Management.

Administrative History

The Department of Industrial Technology (1966-1972) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The department was established in 1966 in a split of the earlier Department of Industrial Education, and placed in the College of Industrial and Technical Education. The department offered a two-year associate's degree for industrial technicians, as well as four-year baccalaureate programs in Tool and Manufacturing Technology, Construction Technology, and Design and Drafting Technology. The department chair through this period was Ross "J" McArthur. In 1972 the department was reorganized as the Department of Technology.

Extent

5 cartons (5 linear ft.)

8 boxes (4 linear ft.)

Language

English

Overview

This collection includes photographs, administrative records, correspondence, and memoranda. In addition, there are curriculum proposals, teaching materials, and numerous photographs and slides. All materials relate to the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology from 1955-1990.

Arrangement

Arranged into eight series: 1. Department chair records. 2. Department records. 3. Faculty reports. 4. Student records. 5. Visual and multimedia records. 6. Records on AT & T. 7. Records on Western Electric Company. 8. Records on government surplus.

The materials have been left in the original order.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1119.xml

Custodial History

Transferred from Records Management in installments between 2004 and 2008. Additional materials added by the University Archivist in 2009.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Records Management; June 2004.

Transferred; Records Management; January 2008.

Found; University Archives Workroom; July 2009.

Appraisal

Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy February 2010).

Processing Information

Processed; Cory Nimer; July 2004.

Processed; Elizabeth West; February 2008.

Processed; Matthew Leavitt; July 2009.
Title
Register of the Department of Technology records
Status
Completed
Author
Matthew Leavitt
Date
2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States