Skip to main content

Harold B. Lee Library records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 1242
Contains records on the Harold B. Lee Library regarding the Library Administrative Offices, various committees, the new addition, personnel, and collection development. Materials include correspondence, minutes, reports, instrument of gift forms, and an assortment of plaques. Dates from 1954 to 2007.

Dates

  • 1954-2007

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Harold B. Lee Library records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.

Extent

72 boxes (36 linear ft.)

17 cartons (17 linear ft.)

5 oversize (3.5 linear ft.)

3 folders (0.21 linear ft.)

Administrative History

The Brigham Young University Library (1925-1961) served as repository for the university collection of printed materials.

The university library was established in the Heber J. Grant building in 1925. The collections outgrew the Heber J. Grant building, necessitating the construction of the J. Reuben Clark Library, which was completed in 1961. Head librarians and directors of libraries were Anna K. Ollorton (1925-1948), Asael C. Lambert (1948-1951), Naomi Rich Earl (1951-1954), and S. Lyman Tyler (1954-1961).
Administrative History The J. Reuben Clark, Jr. Library (1961-1973) served as the university library at Brigham Young University.

The library was renamed as the Clark Library in 1961, following the construction of a new library building. The library was later renamed as the Harold B. Lee Library in 1973. Library directors included S. Lyman Tyler (1961-1966) and Donald K. Nelson (1966-1973).
Administrative History The Harold B. Lee Library (founded 1973) is the library on the campus of Brigham Young University, and is responsible for providing students and the community with valuable resources for research, media projects, and personal use.

The Harold B. Lee Library was aligned with Media Services under the Assistant Academic Vice President of Brigham Young University in 1973. In that same year, the J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library was renamed the Harold B. Lee Library. Internally, the Harold B. Lee Library is managed by the library director, who is aided by an associate university librarian and assistant university librarians, who oversee divisions of the library. Donald K. Nelson continued as Library Director from 1973 to 1980; Sterling J. Albrecht served as director from 1980 to 2002; Randy J. Olsen served as director from 2002 to 2009, and Julene Butler became library director January 1, 2010. The library building was expanded in 1976 and 2000 and continues to provide students and faculty access to scholarly materials.

Arrangement

Arranged in eight series: 1. Harold B. Lee Library administrative records, 1968-1998. 2. Harold B. Lee Library committee minutes and correspondence, 1954-2004. 3. Harold B. Lee Library reports and procedures, 1954-2007. 4. Harold B. Lee Library instrument of gift forms, 2001-2003. 5. Harold B. Lee Library personnel records, 1985-1988. 6. Harold B. Lee Library records on collection development, 1995-2003. 7. Harold B. Lee Library photographs and negatives of library picnic, approximately 1970 to 1985. 8. Harold B. Lee Library Plaques, 1965-1995.

The materials have been left in the original order in which they were found. This order appears to be grouped by subject.

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1242.xml

Custodial History

Transferred in installments from Records Management (January 2006, March 2009, June 2009, August 2012, and May 2016) and from the library's administrative offices (July 2009, November 2013).

In reviewing the collection content in 2012, a number of series were combined.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Records Management; January 2006.

Transferred; University Archivist; March 2009.

Transferred; Records Management; June 2009.

Transferred; Harold B. Lee Library Administrative Offices; July 2009.

Transferred; Records Management; August 2012.

Transferred; Harold B. Lee Library Administrative Offices; November 2013.

Transferred; Records Management; May 2016.

Appraisal

Administration (University Archives Collection Development Policy, August 2015).

Related Materials

See also the Harold B. Lee Library records (UA 549).

Processing Information

Processed; Annette Steele; April 2006.

Processed; Kayla Quinney; March 2009.

Processed; Matthew Leavitt; July 2009.

Processed; Dani Peterson; October 2012.

Processed; Joshua Barton; November 2013.

Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer; March 2015.

Processed; Jenna Kirchhoefer, April 2015.

Processed; Eric Wolford, January 2017.

Creator

Title
Register of Harold B. Lee Library records
Status
completed
Author
Kayla Quinney and Matthew Leavitt
Date
2009
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2012 October 21: Series revised and updated; Dani Peterson.
  • 2013 November: Addendum added and description updated; Joshua Barton.
  • 2015 March: Addendum made and description updated; Jenna Kirchhoefer.
  • 2015 April 6: Addendum made and description updated; Jenna Kirchhoefer.
  • 2017 January 4: Addendum made and description updated; Eric Wolford.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States