Brigham Young University building dedication records
Scope and Contents
- Brigham Young University (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Brigham Young University was established in 1903 in a renaming of Brigham Young Academy. Past and present Brigham Young University presidents include George H. Brimhall (1903-1921), Franklin S. Harris (1921-1945), Howard S. McDonald (1945-1949), (acting president) Christian Jensen (1949-1951), Ernest L. Wilkinson (1951-1971), Dallin H. Oaks (1971-1980), Jeffrey R. Holland (1980-1989), Rex E. Lee (1989-1995), Merrill J. Bateman (1996-2003), Cecil O. Samuelson (2003-2014), and Kevin J. Worthen (2014- ).
Brigham Young University is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the Church Educational System (CES). The university is governed by a Board of Trustees, which, since 1939, has consisted of the First Presidency of the Church as well as other General Authorities or general officers of the Church appointed by the First Presidency. The Board of Trustees provides general direction and oversees the formulation of broad policies as well as the approval of all executive leadership and faculty appointments at the university. The Board of Trustees delegates to the University President the responsibility to conduct the operations of the institution and administer the policies enacted by the board. The President serves as the chief executive officer and general manager of the University. Since 1996, the President of the university has also been a General Authority of the Church.
Brigham Young University has grown from a small academy to one of the world's largest private universities. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU offers a unique educational environment that promotes learning by study and also by faith.
14 boxes (7 linear ft.)
1 oversize folder (0.3 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
Other Finding Aids
Transferred from Public Affairs and Guest Relations in August 2007.
Transferred from Visitor's Center in December 2007.
Copy of the dedicatory prayer for the Harris Fine Arts Center transferred from the College of Fine Arts and Communications by Ken Crossley in June 2014.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Public Affairs and Guest Relations; August 2007.
Transferred; Visitor's Center; December 2007.
Transferred; College of Fine Arts and Communications; June 2014.
Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; August 2007.
Processed; Matthew Leavitt; February 2008.
Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; June 2014.
- Register of Brigham Young University building dedication records
- Matthew Leavitt
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 13 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 14 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize-folder: 15 (Mixed Materials)