Skip to main content

Photo Studio photographs and negatives

 Collection
Identifier: UA 865

Scope and Contents

Contains photographs and negatives from the Photo Studio dated 1922-1996. The materials pertain to athletics, students, faculty, homecoming, building construction and dedications, concerts, devotionals, class pictures, clubs, and commencement.

Dates

  • 1922-1996

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Photo Studio photographs and negatives must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Photo Studio (1954-1996) was a support service at Brigham Young University.

The Photo Studio, also known as the Portrait Studio, was first formed in the 1930s to support the production of the Banyan yearbook, and was incorporated into the university's Auxiliary Services in 1954. It provided photographic services for students and faculty, as well as taking photographs of campus events. The studio worked with the News Bureau, and took photographs at university sporting events. It was also involved in the production of instructional photographs and graphics, though in 1972 these activities were transferred to the Instructional Photo/Graphics unit in the Instructional Services Division. Directors of the studio included Joseph Boel (1954-1956), Clark Nelson (1956-1958), Don Pugmire (1958-1964), Jerry Rogers (1964-1968), and James LeRoy Walker (1968- ). In 1996 the studio was closed as part of renovations to the Wilkinson Center.

Extent

343 boxes (171.5 linear ft.)

Language

English

Overview

The collection contains photographs and negatives from the Photo Studio dated 1922-1996. The materials pertain to athletics, students, faculty, homecoming, building construction and dedications, concerts, devotionals, class pictures, clubs, and commencement.

Arrangement

Arranged into six series: 1. Photo Studio historical photographs, 1941-1962. 2. Photo Studio photographs for Banyan, 1963-1984. 3. Photo Studio photographs of Unified Church School System. 4. Photo Studio photographs of students and campus, 1974-1996. 5. Photo Studio photographs of Founders Day Homecoming and Homecoming Royalties, 1930-1975. 6. Photo Studio photographs of student life.

Appraisal

Part of University Archives; college records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information

Processed; Matthew Leavitt; June 2008 and July 2009.
Title
Register of Photo Studio photographs and negatives
Status
Completed
Author
Matthew Leavitt
Date
2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States