Skip to main content

Beaver Branch records

Identifier: UA 242
Collection includes Beaver Branch school catalogs, programs for commencement exercises and other events, invitations to dances and closing week, a collection of handwritten school yells, and other ephemera such as admission cards, postcards, and announcements. It also includes a brief history of the academy written by Mary K. Davis, and a photocopied handwritten narrative describing the campus buildings. Also contains several oversize photographs of students, faculty, and the campus. The history of the academy is dated 1967. All other materials are dated 1898-1908.


  • 1898-1908
  • 1967


Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 50 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Restriction Policy. Requests to access restricted materials in the University Archives should be submitted to the University Archivist.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Beaver Branch records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.


25 folders (0.21 linear ft.)

8 oversize folders (0.23 linear ft.)

Administrative History

The Beaver Branch (1898-1903) was a religious secondary school and teacher training institution affiliated with Brigham Young Academy in Beaver, Utah. It was located at the entrance of Beaver Canyon, on the property of "Old Fort Cameron," a previous military outpost. With the renaming of its parent organization as Brigham Young University in 1903, the Beaver Branch changed its name as well. Principals of the school included Ernest DeAlton Partridge (1898-1903) and Andrew B. Anderson (1903).
Administrative History The Beaver Branch (1903-1908) was a religious secondary school and teacher training institution operated by Brigham Young University in Beaver, Utah. Principals included Andrew B. Anderson (1903-1904, 1906-1907) and Josiah E. Hickman (1907-1908). In 1908, the school separated from the university and was renamed the Murdock Academy.


University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).

Processing Information

Processed; Kayla Quinney; January 2009.
Register of the Beaver Branch records
Kayla Quinney
Description rules
Language of description

Revision Statements

  • 2009 March 20: Finding aid updated and aligned with catalog record by Cory Nimer.
  • 2020 January 3: Item level description added, additional materials added to finding aid by Karen Glenn.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository

1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States