Hyrum Gibbs Smith papers
- Smith, Hyrum Gibbs, 1879-1932 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
3 boxes (1.5 linear ft)
2 oversize boxes (1 linear ft)
Hyrum Gibbs Smith was born on July 8, 1879 in South Jordan, Utah to Annie Hannah Maria Gibbs and Hyrum Fisher Smith. He was the great-grandson of Hyrum Smith, the brother of Joseph Smith, Jr. Soon after his birth his family moved to Idaho, where they stayed for four years before moving back to Utah, where he spent the rest of his childhood. He attended public school through eighth grade, then Brigham Young Academy for three years. Following his graduation he taught public school in Utah for seven years. On August 17, 1904 he married Martha Electa Gee, and the couple moved to California so that Smith could pursue a degree in dentistry at the University of Southern California. After his graduation in 1911 he was called back to Salt Lake City, Utah as the new Presiding Patriarch of the Church. He was set apart on May 9, 1912, and served until his death on February 4, 1912.
Other Finding Aids
An additional ten diaries were donated by E. Gary Smith, a son of Eldred G. Smith and grandson of Hyrum Gibbs Smith, on April 6, 2017.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Processed; Elizabeth Kane, student manuscript processor, and Ryan K. Lee, curator; 2017.
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Grant, Heber J. (Heber Jeddy), 1856-1945
- Home and Family
- Legal instruments
- Maeser, Karl G.
- McKay, David O. (David Oman), 1873-1970
- Patriarchs (Mormon theology) -- History
- Richards, George F. (George Franklin), 1861-1950
- Smith, Joseph F. (Joseph Fielding), 1838-1918
- Smith, Martha Electa Gee, 1883-1968
- Social Life and Customs
- Utah -- History
- Register of Hyrum Gibbs Smith papers
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 November 17
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2017 April 17: Added ten diaries and their photocopies from 1902-1928, updated notes; Elizabeth Kane; 2017.