Contains seven journals, and other autobiographical manuscripts. Photocopies are also included. There is also a bound typescript volume of an autobiography/journal. The journals include accounts of persecutions in Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois; pioneering in Utah; his two missions to Europe; and service as president of the Swiss-Italian and the Swiss-Italian-German missions. There is also a contemporary account of the cricket-and-seagull episode in Salt Lake in 1848; his service as a member of the Territorial Legislature; the St. George Temple dedication and his work in the temple; and records of Church work and meetings, including work with his brother, George A. Smith, in the Church Historian's Office, and attendance at the School of the Prophets. Also includes photocopies and a few originals of church and professional papers; correspondence; and family papers, including some of his father, John Smith (1781-1854), an earlier Latter-day Saint Church Patriarch.
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted. Photocopies available for public use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John L. Smith papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
5 boxes (2.25 linear ft.)
Biographical / Historical
Smith was an early LDS Church member, first cousin of Joseph Smith (1805-1844), and younger brother of George A. Smith. He was a Church patriarch and mission president, and served as a delegate to the Utah Territorial Legislature.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS680.xml
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Photocopies located in Box 3-5.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Apostles--History
- Family histories
- Germany -- History
- Italy -- History
- Legal instruments
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Europe -- History
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Italy -- History
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Swiss and Italian
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Swiss, Italian, and German
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Switzerland -- History
- Mormon pioneers -- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- History
- School of the Prophets
- Smith, George Albert, 1817-1875
- Smith, John L. (John Lyman), 1828-1898 -- Archives
- Smith, John, 1781-1854
- St. George Temple (Saint George, Utah)
- Switzerland -- History
- Utah. Legislature
- Register of John L. Smith papers
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 November 16
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2017 January 19: Consolidated originals and photocopies in separate boxes so the copies could be moved out of the vault. Updated relevant notes as needed; Ryan K. Lee; 2017-01-19
- 2020 July 9: Migrated XML inventory and updated subject headings; Chelsea McNeil, Karen Glenn