Abraham H. Cannon diaries
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: Vault MSS 62
Cannon details his daily life, including family, church, and business affairs; frequent attendance at the theatre in Salt Lake City; and incarceration for practicing plural marriage, 1886. Diaries are handwritten, 1879-1891, and typed, 1892-1895.
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted. Photocopies available for public use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Abraham H. Cannon diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
6 boxes (3 linear ft.)
Biographical / Historical
Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England, Switzerland, and Germany, 1879-1882; member of the Church's First Council of Seventy, 1882-1889; and member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles beginning in 1889. Cannon was also a member of the Deseret Sunday School Union Board. He was manager of the Juvenile Instructor publishing company and was involved in numerous other business interests in Utah.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/VMSS62.xml
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Photocopies of originals available in boxes 4-6.
Related title Index to the journal of Abraham Hoagland Cannon (1859-96)
- Cannon, Abraham H. (Abraham Hoagland), 1859-1896 -- Diaries
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Apostles--Diaries
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--England
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Germany
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Switzerland
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. First Council of the Seventy
- Council of the Twelve Apostles (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
- Deseret Sunday School Union
- Juvenile Instructor Office
- Polygamy -- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- Social Life and Customs -- 19th century
- Register of Abraham H. Cannon diaries
- Jennifer Kim
- 2011 September 21
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2017 March 27: o Updated “Extent” with new number of boxes. o Updated “Conditions Governing Access” note. Added “Existence and Location of Copies” note to Collection level; Ryan K. Lee