- Card, Charles Ora, 1839-1906 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
11 boxes (5.5 linear ft.)
9 microfilm reels (1.3 linear ft.)
Charles Ora Card was born on November 5, 1839 to Cyrus William Card and Sarah Ann Tuttle. The Card family became associated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1843. charles was baptized by his Uncle, April 12, 1856. He crossed the plains as part of a handcart company arriving in Salt Lake Valley September 1856. Charles became a member of 56th quorum of the Seventy, in Farmington before his family moved to Logan in March 1860. While in Logan, he was involved in education, building of the Logan Tabernacle and the Logan Temple, as well as became the Cache Stake President. Early in 1887, Charles was asked by John Taylor to relocate and settle southern Alberta, Canada with a group of saints, though his not all of his families and wives and came with him. He established the town of Cardson. He was over the Canadian Mission and then the Stake President of the Alberta Stake for about twelve years starting in 1890. He was released as Stake President and became a patriarch September 1902. He was carried to Logan in December 1903 and he died in Logan September 9, 1906.
Charles Ora Card (1839-1906) moved to Logan, Utah in 1860 where he was involved in education, the building of the Logan Tabernacle and the Logan Temple, and became the president of the Cache Stake. Charles married his wife, Sara Jane Beirdneau on October 17, 1867, with whom he had 2 children with. Charles went on to have 5 wives and 16 children in total.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Mary B Firmage; August 8, 1986.
Donated; Donald Godfrey; May 1987.
Donated; Historical Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; February 5, 1988.
Existence and Location of Copies
Microfilm located at SCM 001 264, SCM 001 265, SCM 001 266, SCM 001 267, SCM 001 268, SCM 001 269, SCM 001 270, SCM 001 271, and SCM 001 272.
Processed; Rebekah Hartshorn, student manuscript processor, and Ryan Lee, curator; 2017.
- Card family -- Diaries
- Card, Zina Presendia Young Williams, 1850-1931
- Cardston (Alta.) -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Clergy -- Utah -- Logan
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Cardston Alberta Stake -- History
- Logan (Utah) -- History
- Mormon families
- Mormons -- Diaries
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Register of Charles Ora Card papers
- Jennifer Kim
- 2011 September 19
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2017 January 31: Revised and updated collection level description; Rebekah Hartshorn.
- 2017 March 28: Updated "Conditions Governing Access" and "Existence and Location of Copies" notes. Updated "Custodial History" note. Ryan K. Lee