Handwritten diary in pencil. Clayton kept this diary from 1 Jan. 1840 to 13 Feb. 1842. Clayton writes about his missionary activities for the Mormon Church in England and his return to the United States. He also writes about his daily activities in Nauvoo, Illinois. Clayton's diary was published by James B. Allen and Thomas G. Alexander under the title: "Manchester Mormons: the Journal of William Clayton."
- Clayton, William, 1814-1879 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted. Photocopy available for public use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from William Clayton diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
2 folders (0.1 linear ft.)
Biographical / Historical
Mormon pioneer, missionary, and auditor of public accounts for the Utah Territory from 1848 to 1879.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Photocopy available in folder 2.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Clayton, William, 1814-1879 -- Diaries
- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Great Britain -- History
- Mormons -- England -- History
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Register of William Clayton diary
- Rose Frank
- 2011 September 16
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2017 March 27: o Updated “Extent” with new number of folders. o Updated “Conditions Governing Access” note. Added “Existence and Location of Copies” note to Collection level; Ryan K. Lee