Elmer Ewing collection of Mormon letters
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 4142
Scope and Contents
Collection includes photocopies of correspondence collected by Elmer Ewing written by Mormon pioneers. Includes the letters of Temperance Bond Mack, Christeen Golden Kimball, and Nathan Calhoun Cheney describing their travels to Salt Lake City and other events in Mormon history. One letter by Cheney also includes a description of events surrounding the death of Joseph Smith.
- Cheney, Nathan, 1811-1856 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Elmer Ewing collection of Mormon letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Nathan Calhoun Cheney (1811-1852) was a Mormon pioneer and one of the settlers of Circleville, Utah.
Christeen Golden Kimball (1823-1896) was an early Mormon convert, and wife of Heber C. Kimball. She was born in Hopewell, New Jersey.
Temperance Bond Mack (1771-1850) was the a Mormon pioneer. She was the maternal aunt of Joseph Smith, and helped pioneer the area of Detroit and Pontiac, Michigan.
Elmer Ewing (1856-1948) was a mason in Hopewell, New Jersey.
8 folders (0.20 linear ft.)
Donated in 2007.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
Existence and Location of Originals
Hopewell Library-Museum; Hopewell, N.J.
- Cheney family -- Correspondence
- Council Bluffs (Iowa) -- History
- Far West (Mo.) -- History -- Sources
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Kimball family -- Correspondence
- Mack family -- Correspondence
- Material Types
- Mormons -- Correspondence
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History -- 19th century
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History -- 19th century
- Register of Elmer Ewing collection of Mormon letters
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2011 June 22
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.