A. O. Smoot family papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 3843
Scope and Contents
The A. O. Smoot family papers, 1836–1947, are divided into series of correspondence; genealogy; journals, account books, receipts, and related ephemera; and publications.
- Smoot, A. O. (Abraham Owen), 1815-1895 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the A. O. Smoot family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Abraham Owen Smoot was born February 17, 1815 in Owenton, Franklin (later Owen County), Kentucky to Nancy Ann Rowlett (1787-1871) and George Washington Smoot (1785-1824). He was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at age twenty and thereafter became a major figure in its history. He served nine missions; led a group of Saints from the South to Far West, Missouri; was captain of the second company of Saints to enter the Salt Lake Valley; served as President of the Perpetual Emigration Fund in 1852; and acted as Mayor of Salt Lake for ten years and of Provo for twelve. He is particularly recognized for his roll in shaping Provo and fostering the success of Brigham Young Academy, now Brigham Young University. Abraham O. Smoot died in Provo on March 6, 1895, arguably the most influential man in Utah County, Utah.
4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
The A. O. Smoot family papers consists of correspondence, publications, genealogy records, journals, account books, receipts, and related ephemera, 1836-1947. The collection covers several generations and family members of the Smoot Family.
Arranged in four series: 1. Smoot family correspondence, 1851-1914. 2. Smoot family genealogy, 1845-1947. 3. Smoot family journals, account books, receipts, and related ephemera, 1836-1914. 4. Smoot family publications, 1852-1914.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Douglas Smoot; 2009-2012.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural , social, and religious history (19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts Collection Policy, II.B.5.VII, 2013).
- Beebe, Nancy Diana Smoot
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Southern States Mission
- Home and Family
- Kirtland (Ohio)
- Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail
- Nauvoo Temple (Nauvoo, Ill. : 1841-1850)
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company
- Smoot, A. O. (Abraham Owen), 1815-1895
- Smoot, Abraham Owen, 1856-1911
- Smoot, Diana E., (Diana Eldredge), 1837-1914
- Smoot, Horace Alma, 1880-1964
- Smoot, Margaret T. (Margaret Thompson), 1809-1884
- Social Life and Customs
- Register of the A. O. Smoot family papers
- Megan Furcini
- 2011 May 13
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.