Collection of land indentures
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 1779
Scope and Contents
Collection includes 1,449 handwritten land indentures, mostly on parchment and some on paper. The materials relate to the sale and ownership of land in England over nearly three centuries, including deeds, leases, manorial records and mortgages. Also included are prenuptial and loan agreements, wills and probate records. Original provenance of the collection is unknown. Several documents were apparently mailed to George Minns, a Salt Lake City genealogist, but how the whole collection was compiled prior to its donation to the Harold B. Lee Library in 1983 remains unknown. These materials have been used as examples of handwriting for paleography courses.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English and Latin.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Collection of land indentures must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
31 boxes (13 linear ft.)
Organized into fifteen series; Arranged chronologically.
Original provenance of the collection is unknown. The collection was donated on June 21, 1983 by Dr. David H. Pratt on behalf of the BYU Family and Local History Studies Department. Dr. Pratt and Dr. Ben Bloxham had been invited to inspect the collection at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City earlier that year.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Materials were received numbered and folded but in no discernable order. Each document has been flattened, housed in acid-free folders, and arranged in boxes according to size. Because of the various sizes of the materials, intellectual arrangement does not correspond to physical arrangement.
- Register of Collection of land indentures
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 April 19
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- oversize: 19 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 20 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 21 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 22 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 23 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 24 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 25 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 26 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 27 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 28 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 29 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 30 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 31 (Mixed Materials)