Joseph Fielding Smith letters
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MSS SC 725
Scope and Contents
Correspondence between Joseph Fielding Smith (1876-1972) and his son Milton E. Smith (1927- ). The collection covers two timeframes: July 1945 to July 1946 and April 1947 to December 1949. The first group covers the time when Milton E. Smith served in the United States Navy, and the majority of them were written by Milton E. Smith to his family. The second group were written by Milton E. Smith to his family. The second group were written while Milton E. Smith was a missionary serving the LDS Church in Argentina, and almost all of these letters were written by Joseph Fielding Smith to his missionary son. The subjects of these letters range from such topics as LDS doctrines to politics and sports.
- Smith, Joseph Fielding, 1876-1972 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Joseph Fielding Smith letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Joseph Fielding Smith from 1921 to 1970 was the LDS Church Historian and was the author of over twenty-five works on the doctrines and history of the LDS Church. He served from 1910 to 1970 as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the LDS Church and was the tenth president of the LDS Church from 1970 until his death in 1972.
Milton E. Smith served as a seaman first class in the U.S. Navy from June 1945 to July 1946 and as a missionary in Argentina for the LDS Church from November 1946 to November 1949. He graduated from the University of Utah in 1951 and joined the faculty of the School of Management at Brigham Young University in 1966.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSSSC725.xml
Gift of Milton E. Smith, October 1983.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Milton E. Smith; 1983.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Argentina -- Politics and government -- 1943-1955
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Doctrines
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Argentina
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Presidents--Correspondence
- Mormon doctrine -- Personal interpretations
- Smith, Joseph Fielding, 1876-1972 -- Correspondence
- Smith, Milton Edmund, 1927- -- Correspondence
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1945-1953
- United States. Navy
- Register of Joseph Fielding Smith letters
- Elisa Visick
- 2010 July 15
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.