Typewritten copy of a handwritten diary. Clayton kept this diary from 1 Jan. 1840 to 13 Feb. 1842. Clayton writes about his missionary activities for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England and his return to the United States. He also writes about his daily activities in Nauvoo, Illinois. This item was typed by Alan S. Young in 1961. Also included are extensive footnotes relating to Clayton's entries into his journal. Clayton's diary was published by James B. Allen and Thomas G. Alexander under the title: "Manchester Mormons: the Journal of William Clayton."
- Clayton, William, 1814-1879 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
1 folder (0.1 linear ft.) : 107 p.
Biographical / Historical
Mormon pioneer, missionary, and auditor of public accounts for the Utah Territory from 1848 to 1879.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Clayton, William, 1814-1879 -- Diaries
- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- England -- History
- Mormon missionaries -- England -- History
- Mormons -- England -- History
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Register of William Clayton diary
- Rose Frank
- 13 April 2011
- Description rules
- Language of description