Thomas Wright Kirby autobiography and diary
File — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 706
Scope and Contents
Photocopy of a handwritten autobiography and diary. These materials were created when Kirby was in the territorial penitentiary of Utah for polygamy. Kirby was born in England, joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1852, performed missionary work in England, migrated to Utah in 1863 where he lived in several different places, took additional wives, joined the United Order, and went to prison for polygamy. His diary covers the years 1886 to 1887 when he was in the penitentiary.
- Kirby, Thomas Wright (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Autobiography and diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
LDS missionary, pioneer, and local Church leader.
1 item (ca. 200 pages)
19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts.
- Kirby, Thomas Wright
- Material Types
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- England -- History
- Mormon pioneers -- Utah -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- History
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Polygamy -- Utah -- History
- Prisons -- Utah -- History
- United orders (Mormon Church) -- History
- Register of Autobiography and diary
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 March 31
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.