George Halliday papers
Scope and Contents
Materials include a handwritten diary that was kept from 1845 to 1854, part of which was written in Pitman shorthand. The diary also includes a brief autobiographical sketch on Halliday from his birth up to 1845. Also includes a family record book for George Halliday's family, which includes a short handwritten autobiography. A volume with a typed version of the short autobiography and handwritten transcriptions of the Pitman shorthand sections of the diary are also included. Dated approximately 1845-1951.
- approximately 1845-1951
- Halliday, George, 1823-1900 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at email@example.com.
George Halliday was born in 1823 in England. In 1844, he was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and he served missions to England for that faith from 1845 to 1853 and in 1860. Halliday served as a bishop for the Church in Santaquin and American Fork, Utah. He also served as an alderman and as a representative to the Utah territorial legislature. Halliday lived in Pleasant Grove, Utah. He died in 1900.
7 folders (0.31 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition unknown.
Utah and the Western American and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.a.i.1 and 4, November 2013).
Existence and Location of Copies
Collection includes photocopies of some items in folder 4, 5, and 6. Additional transcription created in-house available in Folder 7.
Revised and updated; Ryan Lee, curator; 2016.
Processed; Megan Hall; April 5, 2021; Transcription added.
- American Fork (Utah)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- England -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Bishops -- History
- Halliday, George, 1823-1900
- Holliday family
- Legislators -- Utah -- History
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- England -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- Utah County -- History
- Pleasant Grove (Utah)
- Santaquin (Utah)
- Utah County (Utah) -- History
- Register of George Halliday papers
- Rose Frank
- 2011 March 28
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.