William Henry Hart diaries
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diaries with typescripts in four volumes. Volume 1 concerns Hart's overland journey by ox team from Quincy, Illinois to the Humboldt Valley, Nevada, in 1852. Hart is an insightful and descriptive diarist. He writes about cooking and commerce on the plains, encounters with Indians, and dissatisfaction in his company. Hart mentions a handful of deaths from cholera and includes a moving description of one funeral. He also gives a festive account of his company's celebration of the Fourth of July, and describes an anniversary dinner at Salt Lake City which his companions attended. A substantial description of Salt Lake City is included. Volume 2 concludes Hart's journey to California. Hart mined for gold and worked as a shingle maker, and writes extensively about his four years in California. He left San Francisco in December 1856 and steamed to San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. There his steamer was hijacked by Costa Rican forces in an effort to defeat William Walker, an American attempting to capture Nicaragua. Hart spent several months visiting family after his return to New York. Hart also writes about his life in Illinois and contemporary events. The repository has volumes 1, 2, 3, and 5. Volume 4 is missing.
- Hart, William Henry, 1829-1888 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Native of Illinois, gold prospector, postmaster, and extensive traveler.
4 v. : typescripts.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Transcriptions available in Box 1.
- California -- History -- 19th century
- Expeditions and Adventure
- Gold miners -- California -- Diaries
- Gold mines and mining -- California -- History -- 19th century
- Hart, William Henry, 1829-1888 -- Diaries
- Illinois -- History -- 19th century
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Material Types
- Mormons -- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- Description and travel
- Walker, William, 1824-1860
- Register of William Henry Hart diaries
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 March 16
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.