- Clawson, Thomas Alfred, 1862-1942 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Conditions Governing Use note
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
1 microfilm reel (0.5 linear ft.)
Thomas Alfred Clawson was born in Salt Lake City, Utah on 19 October 1862 to Hiram B. Clawson and Margaret Jay Judd. He was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when he was eight years old and ordained to the Priesthood in regular order. When he was sixteen years old, he began working as an apprentice for his brother, Stanley, a dentist. he worked there for six years, during which time he attended the University of Deseret and completed three years of study. He later enrolled at the New York College of Dentistry and graduated there in 1886. The following year, he began his own practice in Salt Lake City.
During the years 1891-1893, Thomas A. Clawson served a mission to Great Britain. Prior to leaving for his mission, he married Elizabeth Grosbeck, the daughter of William and Eleanor Grosbeck in the Logan Temple on 30 April 1891. Three weeks later, he departed for London. During the latter part of his mission, he presided over the London Conference. He completed his mission in May 1893.
Thomas and Elizabeth had eight children together. Thomas resumed his dental practice in 1897 and later bought the Utah State Dental Supply House from his brother Stanley. He has been classed as oneo f the most efficent men in his profession, and was universally liked as a man by all who knew him.
In 1906, Thomas was called to replace Orson F. Whitney to be the Bishop of the Eighteenth Ward in Salt Lake City. He served as Bishop of the Eighteenth Ward, Ensign Stake until 1938. A year after being released as bishop, he was appointed a Patriarch of the Ensign Stake. he died on 3 June 1942 of a heart ailment.
See Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia, pg. 100.
Other Finding Aids note
Custodial History note
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Existence and Location of Copies note
Processing Information note
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History--19th century
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History--20th century
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--England
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. First Presidency
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Presiding Bishopric
- Clawson, Thomas Alfred, 1862-1942 -- Correspondence
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- England
- Mormon missionaries -- England
- Salt Lake City (Utah)
- Register of the Thomas Alfred Clawson papers
- David J. Whittaker and Erin Chapman
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Finding aid encoded in English.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- finding aid revision date not supplied: 2010 November 02 GilEADized to correct small errors. 2010 December 27 Edited for compliance with DACS and CCLA standards.