Photocopy of a handwritten reminiscence. Margetts writes about her life in Carthage and Nauvoo, Illinois. She describes the events surrounding the murder of the first president of the Mormon Church, Joseph Smith. She also mentions events in Nauvoo, Illinois, when the Mormons were ejected from that town. She also witnessed the "miracle of the quales." The date of the composition of the item is uncertain.
- Margetts, Eliza Clayton (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Eliza Clayton Margetts reminiscence must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
1 item (4 p.)
Biographical / Historical
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Carthage (Ill.) -- History
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Margetts, Eliza Clayton
- Mormon women -- Illinois -- Carthage -- History
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Carthage -- History -- Sources
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844
- Register of Eliza Clayton Margetts reminiscence
- Rose Frank
- 11 March 2011
- Description rules
- Language of description