James Farmer autobiography and diaries
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MSS 1433
Scope and Contents
Two holograph volumes in three parts with accompanying carbon and ribbon copy typescripts; typescript and draft of typescript of 1881-1882 diary. Describes his early life in England, missionary work for the Mormon Church in England, his immigration to Utah and accounts of ship passage, overland travel to Salt Lake City, Utah and settlement and life in Sanpete County, Utah. The 1881-82 diary deals with a mission to England. Also includes patriarchal blessings.
- Farmer, James, 1825-1908 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Originals are restricted.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from James Farmer autobiography and diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon businessman, surveyor, farmer, missionary and colonizer.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Lora Farmer Hansen; 1974.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Typescript parts 1, 2 and part of 3 were made by Jessie E. Empey as part of the Utah Historical Records Survey, Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration in 1936 in St. George, Utah.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--England
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- England--History
- Empey, Jessie E.
- Ephraim (Utah) -- History
- Farmer, Ann Webster
- Farmer, Blain
- Farmer, James, 1825-1908 -- Diaries
- Farmer, Mary Ballany
- Farmer, Mary Bateman
- Farmer, Sarah Broadbridge
- Federal Writers' Project
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Manti (Utah) -- History
- Monroe (Utah) -- History
- Mormon pioneers
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Sanpete County (Utah) -- History
- United States. Works Progress Administration
- Utah Historical Records Survey
- Register of James Farmer autobiography and diaries
- Andrea Wyss
- 2011 March 11
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.