John M. Cannon papers
File — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS SC 3220
Scope and Contents
This collection contains thirty-nine letters written to and by John M. Cannon, a Salt Lake City attorney. There are business letters and personal correspondence. The business letters deal mainly with business: mining, ranching, buying and selling of farm land, closing of bank accounts, etc. The contents of the collection span the years between 1893 and 1914 and are arranged chronologically.
- Cannon, George M. (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The contents of this collection are open to researchers according to established policy of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections library.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John M. Cannon papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
John M. Cannon was born 24 September 1865 in St. George, Washington County, Utah. He was the son of Angus M. Cannon and Sarah M. Mousley. After grammar school, John worked as a carpenter and farmer while studying for about two years at the University of Utah. He went on to study at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, where he graduated as a Bachelor of Law in 1890. He married Zina Bennion on 18 July, 1893, and had five children. He also served several missions. He later served as a High Counselor in the Granite Stake. Source: Jenson, Andrew. Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia. Salt Lake City, Utah: the Andrew Jenson History Company, 1901.
1 folder ; (0.01 linear ft.)
This collection of letters was purchased by Brigham Young University in August of 2001 from Charles Apfelbaum, a rare manuscript collector from New Jersey. Charles Apfelbaum, rare manuscript and archives dealer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Charles Apfelbaum.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Brigham City (Utah) -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Denver (Colo.) -- History
- Manti (Utah) -- History
- Payson (Utah) -- History
- Provo (Utah) -- History
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Sandy (Utah) -- History -- Sources
- Vernal (Utah) -- History
- West Jordan (Utah) -- History
- Cannon, George M. (Person)
- Cannon, John M. (John Mousley), 1865-1917 (Person)
- Blythe, Margaret Mitchell (Person)
- Cannon, Angus M. (Angus Munn) (Person)
- Curtis, Hyrum (Person)
- Cannon, Luvis (Person)
- Harvey, Amelia (Person)
- Deseret Savings Bank (Organization)
- Smith, Sarah Pope (Person)
- Ross, Milton (Person)
- Zions Bank (Utah) (Organization)
- Widney, Samuel (Person)
- Register of John M. Cannon papers
- In Progress
- Rose Frank
- 3 March 2011
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.